The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend, im going to do a mega swap! Moving my 120g. into a 125g and adding all kinds of new stuff.

Anywho, my sand bed is only about 3 months old. Can I keep it? I can get new sand no problem, but i foolishly bought alot of "live sand" when i did my current sand bed, and really dont want to waste it.

Is it usable?

·
Now What?
1,100 Posts
Your LFS doesn't have any black sand? Maybe have them order some when they place their next order.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I would say, swap it out. Although it is still fairly young, it does have a bunch of junk in it that is bad news once stirred up. And believe me, it will get stired up a lot when you swap tanks. new sand wil be alive in no time. Swap it out is the safest bet. Plus, you can avoid a build up a phosphates by changing your sand when you get the chance.

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
I rinsed mine well when I moved from a 75 to my current 125. Just rinse and rinse and rinse and when you think you have rinsed enough, rinse again with ro/di.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
if you want to switch to black, petsmart has a brand called "tahitian moon sand" nice stuff, great color, but it aint cheap! i would replace it while you have the chance, not only do you have 3 months of buildup, but you have the buildup of it being "live sand" in the first place. get good ole' dead sand. good luck with the move.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
3 month old sand isn't much different than a 3 month old baby .. still fresh and clean and no one should seriously consider tossing. A teenager on the other hand?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
3 month old sand isn't much different than a 3 month old baby .. still fresh and clean and no one should seriously consider tossing. A teenager on the other hand?
i disagree. the sand is full of crap from the rock, fish, extra food it goes on and on. now its not like 6 month old sand bed but it is still nasty. now he can switch it easy and in 3 months he will have a 3 month old bed instead of a 6 month old bed.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
i disagree. the sand is full of crap from the rock, fish, extra food it goes on and on. now its not like 6 month old sand bed but it is still nasty. now he can switch it easy and in 3 months he will have a 3 month old bed instead of a 6 month old bed.
You should note that all that "crap" your refering to can be readily rinsed out of any sand. The real risk associated with using old sand is based on the "crap" that can be absorbed by aragonite ... primarily phosphates .. which takes a long time.

I stand by my comment ... in my opinion tossing 3 month old sand is akin to tossing a newborn .. just makes no sense.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
You should note that all that "crap" your refering to can be readily rinsed out of any sand. The real risk associated with using old sand is based on the "crap" that can be absorbed by aragonite ... primarily phosphates .. which takes a long time.

I stand by my comment ... in my opinion tossing 3 month old sand is akin to tossing a newborn .. just makes no sense.

im not trying to down your comment. just adding my 2 cents.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts