The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're intrigued with the idea of putting an Emerald Crab (or two) in our 120g.

However, i've read that they can go after your corals or even other critters if they don't get enough food.

So, are they worth the risk?

One of the little voices in my head says that it's a LOT harder to get them out (after they've done some damage) than to just not put them in at all.

But, we'd appreciate feedback based on your experiences.

Trent

·
Reef Junkie
1,544 Posts
Just about anything will carry some risk. Most of the issues with emeralds are for very large adults. The small ones are pretty well behaved. It's easy enough to make a trap for them if you ever have to remove them.

Mine hangs out on the rocks picking off bits to eat and chases down bits of frozen food when I feed. There are other similar crabs that aren't know to become a pain if you aren't dead set on emeralds.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My opinion is why would you want one in the first place? They really don't help much unless you have the specific type of hair algae that they eat and they hide most of the time. Plus there's the reasons you mentioned.

·
Reef Junkie
1,544 Posts
My opinion is why would you want one in the first place? They really don't help much unless you have the specific type of hair algae that they eat and they hide most of the time. Plus there's the reasons you mentioned.
Diversity, neat to watch once they're settled in and less shy, good scavengers of leftovers. They eat a variety of algae and meaty foods including bubble algae. Provided you keep them feed they are reef compatible.

I like that I don't see everything in my tank all the time. Always something different to look at. My emerald has adjusted well and can be seen throughout the day and night.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts