The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!
I have a 150 with about 300lbs of live rock and a Flame angel thats driving me up the wall!! She was fine up until about 3 months ago and then all of sudden she started nipping at my corals and bullying the other fish in the tank. I want to get her out but I'm not sure how to get her out.
I dont want to take all the lr out because it would be a pia and also because most of my rock has coral on it. The bottle wont work because she wouldnt fit into the opening of a Pepsi bottle.
So That leaves me with a hook or a trap.
Would the hook hurt her? How would I stop other fish from eating from the hook?
Then the trap whats a good kind? How do they work?
Then lets say I catch her can she live in a 30 gallon sump? I really dont know anyone here that would take her. I could try to sell her but I would worry she wouldnt be going to a good home.
Thanks for any input.
Patrick

· Premium Member
7,439 Posts
Get a clear bag. Like those the LFS puts your critters in for the ride home. Poke holes around the rim of the bag with something like an icepick. Then weave some monofilament fishing line through the holes. Tie a slip knot or noose in one end and slide the other end through it. Throw a couple of small pieces of reef rubble in the bag to hold it down. Place the fishes favorite food in the bag. Place the bag in the tank facing the flow, so that it stays open. Take the end of the fishing line to your favorite chair, have a beer, or what ever your pleasure, and wait. When the fish enters, a quick tug on the line and the bag closes with the fish inside.

· Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get a clear bag. Like those the LFS puts your critters in for the ride home. Poke holes around the rim of the bag with something like an icepick. Then weave some monofilament fishing line through the holes. Tie a slip knot or noose in one end and slide the other end through it. Throw a couple of small pieces of reef rubble in the bag to hold it down. Place the fishes favorite food in the bag. Place the bag in the tank facing the flow, so that it stays open. Take the end of the fishing line to your favorite chair, have a beer, or what ever your pleasure, and wait. When the fish enters, a quick tug on the line and the bag closes with the fish inside.
Thanks Ec!
that sounds really cool. I will run to pick up some fishing line tomorrow and give it a shot!

· Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EC has the right idea but if you want . Ask your LFS to borrow one of these . My LFS lends them out
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+18180+14700&pcatid=14700
Thanks Bio
I cant beleive it I called the lfs that I spent 200+ bucks at fri and they wont loan me one! I even offered to leave a deposit. So I'm back to Ec's fishing bag. The flame is so smart anytime I go near the tank she hides in the rocks but keeps a close eye on me.:angry: I dont want to hurt her I just want her out and in a tank more suited for her.

· Registered
1,160 Posts
i had to catch 3 of my fish to dip them yesterday ....what a PIA!
i found the easiest way was to use a clear plastic cup and push the cup over top of them in the sand near the glass and carfully slide the cup up the glass and thats its pull them out ..... i was to hard to catch them any other way for me because i was always afraid to squish em against the glass or rock

· Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i had to catch 3 of my fish to dip them yesterday ....what a PIA!
i found the easiest way was to use a clear plastic cup and push the cup over top of them in the sand near the glass and carfully slide the cup up the glass and thats its pull them out ..... i was to hard to catch them any other way for me because i was always afraid to squish em against the glass or rock
Thanks Dv3
Did you have lr in your tank?
Thats my problem I would have to completly remove all my lr to catch her. Ive done it in the past but not since adding coral to my tank I'm glad you were able to catch your fish.:thumbup:

· Registered
1,160 Posts
Thanks Dv3
Did you have lr in your tank?
Thats my problem I would have to completly remove all my lr to catch her. Ive done it in the past but not since adding coral to my tank I'm glad you were able to catch your fish.:thumbup:
I do have LR ... it definitively wasnt easy ...i pretty much had to tear the tank up and rearrange all the rock to make traps ....but had i figured out my method first it may have worked better ....i think the bag thing would be much less stresssful on the fish and you if you can get it to work but if not that was the easiest way i found to get them in a container

· Mantis
2,225 Posts
Thanks Bio
I cant beleive it I called the lfs that I spent 200+ bucks at fri and they wont loan me one! I even offered to leave a deposit. So I'm back to Ec's fishing bag. The flame is so smart anytime I go near the tank she hides in the rocks but keeps a close eye on me.:angry: I dont want to hurt her I just want her out and in a tank more suited for her.
deposit the actual cost of it so then theyll consider it. unless you tried to deposit that much

· Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do have LR ... it definitively wasnt easy ...i pretty much had to tear the tank up and rearrange all the rock to make traps ....but had i figured out my method first it may have worked better ....i think the bag thing would be much less stresssful on the fish and you if you can get it to work but if not that was the easiest way i found to get them in a container
Thanks dv3
Theres no way I could take all this rock out lol I dont have room lol. I'm going to try the bag trap and see how it works

· Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
deposit the actual cost of it so then theyll consider it. unless you tried to deposit that much
Thanks quader94
When I called I told them what was going on and how I had just bought a bunch of corals from them and they didnt really seem to care. I then said well can I borrow it if I leave a deposit(I didnt say how much) he then said "No we dont loan equipment we sell it" I can tell you one thing he wont be selling me equipment fish or anything else.

· Mantis
2,225 Posts
Thanks quader94
When I called I told them what was going on and how I had just bought a bunch of corals from them and they didnt really seem to care. I then said well can I borrow it if I leave a deposit(I didnt say how much) he then said "No we dont loan equipment we sell it" I can tell you one thing he wont be selling me equipment fish or anything else.
yeah time for a new LFS
any local reefers have one?
seems like the bag trick is the winner so far

· Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah time for a new LFS
any local reefers have one?
seems like the bag trick is the winner so far
Thanks Tim
I just responded to a thread on my local reef site. This guy is looking to buy a flame so I wrote and told him if he can catch this one with out stressing my tank its his. I'm going to try to catch it on my own and trade it but if not and he can catch it that also works for me:blob:.
Patrick

· Mantis
2,225 Posts
Thanks Tim
I just responded to a thread on my local reef site. This guy is looking to buy a flame so I wrote and told him if he can catch this one with out stressing my tank its his. I'm going to try to catch it on my own and trade it but if not and he can catch it that also works for me:blob:.
Patrick
tell him good luck :lol:

i was going to buy one of them from my LFS because it was 19.99 ( i had to go back home because i knew the fish but wasnt to familiar with it) the next time i went they raised it to 54 99 you have no idea how mad i was:angry:

· Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tell him good luck :lol:

i was going to buy one of them from my LFS because it was 19.99 ( i had to go back home because i knew the fish but wasnt to familiar with it) the next time i went they raised it to 54 99 you have no idea how mad i was:angry:
I thought 20 bucks was really cheap. If you lived closer I would let you have a go at catching this one.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.