The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening everyone,

I'm currently in the process of setting up my new 50 breeder (build thread forthcoming), and I more or less have everything put together. The tank is ~60% full of RODI water to leak test it, but I can't make up my mind on what to do with my sump.

The sump I'm using is a 20 gallon long, with a NWB 150 skimmer, eheim 1260 return pump and a Tunze Osmolator ATO. I know this ATO is fairly accurate and should keep the sump water level at a fairly consistent height, but I can't for the life of me decide if I want to put a baffle in before the return section or not. Every time I think I've made up my mind, something makes me change it.

I think I'm leaning towards no baffle, but I thought I'd seek everyones thoughts on the issue. I do see the merits in having one, just not sure if I want to deal with having to get one. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I had a baffle on mine but had to rip it out to get my skimmer in the sump. I personally haven't noticed a difference in it since I took it out. I have a 75 with a 40 gallon sump. Maybe the length is long enough so the micro bubbles pop not really sure. The only reason I would do baffles is to set a height for a skimmer and the over understand to help with the micro bubbles

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should I be that worried about micro bubbles? I was figuring those are more of a symptom common to new skimmers, and once it was broken in, that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Granted my skimmer experience is limited to an HOB BH1000, but once that broke in I didn't have any microbubble problems.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I have the same skimmer nwb 150 and don't have any issues, but I plumbed a friends tank and he has a million. Not sure what the difference is.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I really got lucky with my tank. I kinda flew by the seat of my pants I think that's the saying and everything worked out so well. I have the quietest no way of overflowing tank I have ever seen. I did absolutely no research on overflow building I just plumbed it and it works like I knew what I was doing. I read a lot on how the reef breeders fans are so quiet those fans are the loudest thing on my tank

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
I just use a single glass pane baffle. But also have a osmolator it's pretty accurate I could getting away with none. Single pane baffle is cheap and simple. Think I have a vid of the sump running 40breeder in my build thread

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Invic I'll check that out.

I really got lucky with my tank. I kinda flew by the seat of my pants I think that's the saying and everything worked out so well. I have the quietest no way of overflowing tank I have ever seen. I did absolutely no research on overflow building I just plumbed it and it works like I knew what I was doing. I read a lot on how the reef breeders fans are so quiet those fans are the loudest thing on my tank
Haha nice, I love it when things work out like that.

·
Registered
416 Posts
You really want a baffle. If that drain ever gets clogged you will leak a lot of water onto the floor.

Even if your sump only holds 20g's, 20g's of water on the floor, or worse in the dry wall can easily cost you 1-20 grand. A baffle will cost you $20 bucks.

I lost 30g's out of a tank failure while I was home. I had to replace drywall, flooring, subflooring, new stand, and new electric. Only cost me a few thousand since I did the work myself.

That very cheap fail safe is definitely worth the money.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did not think of it that way. Fortunately, my tank is the basement den and the floor is tile (and a drain somewhat nearby), so I don't think I'd incur much damage, but your point stands.

·
Registered
416 Posts
How about, how long would it take you to install a baffle vs. how long it will take to clean up that much water and replace the pump that ran dry?

Just sayin.

You can get a baffle cut to size at home depot and glue it in for fairly cheap. I really see no reason to skimp on that. With everything you are investing in a system, this is not the place to save money.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I also have 2 drains. One is pretty much only there for a backup. Both my drains are at different heights. One is a strainer right into a bulkhead the other is a street 90 into the bulkhead with a strainer. I close the valve a bit which makes the water height go up some. The water level sits right under the top of the backup drain. The main drain is draining completely submerged so I never get the gurgling sound. Mine is also just a overflow box so you don't hear water falling either. This also looks way better and takes up less room.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts