The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm new to this site so there might be an answer somewhere else. any way! i have had tanks all my life but i have never set up a reef. i want to get one going now. i now have 40 gal tank w/ a aqua clear sump and protien skimmer. i am looking for some tips on saltinity, temp, lighting, and filtration. i currently have some palups, star palups, couple of xena, cactus coral, and a purple clam. my fish include, yellow tang, yellow eye tang, powder bule tang, and three eels. any suggestions would be helpfull. i want to make sure the tank stays healthy.

·
Registered
778 Posts
welcome cypher!
i would keep the eels in a seperate tank, eels are always willing to have small fishes for dinner! also, if yer gonna have tangs, its best to have a tank at least 75gls. in size.
salinity 1.026 is a sweet spot, temp: 76-83'f, lights:metal halides are best, filteration: protien skimmer and refugium! enjoy the site, ask more questions if ya have any!
welcome to trt!
:cool:

G

·
a tip...with the 3 tangs but a 125 gal or more bigger tank...these fish need lots of room to roam

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I would recommend starting out in our archive section: The Reference Place. http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=5

Here you can find lots of good threads on different topics and web links to informative pages. Your bioload sounds way too big for that tank. Between 3 tangs and 3 eels you are going to have a poopy tank. You'll have to watch your nitrates very closely and keep up your regular water changes. Also check out our recommeded books section. Click on books above. The fish you have are going to get too big for that tank. Check out Scott Michael's book Marine Fish pocket guide. It will help you know what size tank a certain fish needs.

Welcome to TRT!

Brooke

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!!

:wavey:

i agree with everyone so far. your bio-load is really high. those eels are messy critters. i would also suggest getting a seperate tank for them. those are a lot of tangs to put in such a small tank. luckily the tank is short and wides to it helps a little.

it is really tough going from FW to SW. you pretty much can just buy anything you want in FW and feed it flake. with SW they can very specific feeding requirements. like your eels, they will eat most of the clean-up critters you put into the tank. the clam, it like super amounts of light. think streetlights! i have 400w mh's over my tank for my clam.

i also think your LFS is not helping you either. they should not have let you get all of those fish without explaining all of the limitations of the SW environment.

what kind of lighting and skimmer do you have?

again welcome! i think you will find a lot of good information here.

G~

·
Super Moderator
22,652 Posts
WELCOME TO TRT!
Ditto on the other posts here on what you have, especially Brooke's input,,,,
enjoy your stay here!

·
Registered
67 Posts
cypher said:
Hey guys! I'm new to this site so there might be an answer somewhere else. any way! i have had tanks all my life but i have never set up a reef. i want to get one going now. i now have 40 gal tank w/ a aqua clear sump and protien skimmer. i am looking for some tips on saltinity, temp, lighting, and filtration. i currently have some palups, star palups, couple of xena, cactus coral, and a purple clam. my fish include, yellow tang, yellow eye tang, powder bule tang, and three eels. any suggestions would be helpfull. i want to make sure the tank stays healthy.
Sounds like a troll to me....

Dave

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
SouthernReefer said:
...if yer gonna have tangs, its best to have a tank at least 75gls. in size...
PER TANG

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Re: Re: Tips and tricks

dtiedke said:
Sounds like a troll to me....

Dave
Well, if it is, it's not worth pointing out...

Two things lead to people busting out their lighters...

1. Trolls
2. People that start the fire by saying, "Sounds like a troll to me"...

Let's save the both of them for RC...

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Tips and tricks

Buzz_Hog said:

...Let's save the both of them for RC...
Excellent observation, btw, not that this is a point of contention here, but evidently some of the fine folks at RC took offense to the fact that SOMEBODY did some trolling on their site from SOME other BBS, and that SOME form of reciprocation should be expected...

Another reason to always practice what we preach.

BTW, thanks Buzz, for keeping us on track.

...a little birdie tode me...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Tips and tricks

Buzz_Hog said:

Two things lead to people busting out their lighters...

1. Trolls
2. People that start the fire by saying, "Sounds like a troll to me"...

Let's save the both of them for RC...
Your right....my fault....it was OBVIOUSLY a Troll and I should have kept my mouth shut....my bad.

Dave

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Tips and tricks

tdwyatt said:
Excellent observation, btw, not that this is a point of contention here, but evidently some of the fine folks at RC took offense to the fact that SOMEBODY did some trolling on their site from SOME other BBS, and that SOME form of reciprocation should be expected...

...a little birdie tode me...
Speaking of which..... where HAS Jay been.... :idea:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Heya cypher,

Welcome to TRT! :beer:

Sounds like the others have given good advice. In a tank that small you're just asking for constant ich outbreaks with the tangs... they'll probably be really stressed and seem to be ich magnets when that happens.

Reefkeeping is a lot of fun though... once you get past the 6 month stage... :D
I think up until that point everything freaks you out so it's more of a stress inducer rather than reducer... :D

You've definitely found the right place to ask questions though... this forum has helped me out a lot since I started.

Once again, welcome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.