The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three new planets may join the solar system

There will be at least 12 planets in our solar system, and probably many more, if a new definition of the word "planet" is adopted. Next week the International Astronomical Union will vote on a draft definition of what distinguishes a planet from lesser space rocks.

The new scheme would retain Pluto – previously threatened with ejection from the club – but it would also admit several new members, including the former asteroid Ceres, and even Charon, which until now has been classed as Pluto's moon.

Read the full story here:
http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/dn9761

·
Retired Wanderer
17,195 Posts
Saw that on the Comedy Channel. Man I can take the new guys but losing Pluto would mess up my science project in the seventh grade and Trivial Pursuit and all kinds of stuff.

·
Registered
269 Posts
honestly, I think this is a prefect example of the scientific community changing science to get the outcome they want. It would be unpopular to "demote" Pluto even though there has been debate from it's discovery if it really is a planet or not, so they're just going to change the rules. Junk science at it's best....:doh:

pat

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
I think it is an excellent idea and very logical to say the least. I do however think there need to be boundries for typical matters and thier masses. it is known that there is a threashold that an object has to reach before becomming a star. The deteriming factor is what the main composition if the object is.. IE: if jupiter were 30X larger it would be a star, this would be a binary system and we would not exsist. There is a very clear threashold for this. With solid matter it is another story... IE: A palnet that is 90% iron would not become "round" and be concidered a planet unless it were ~6000 kilometers in diameter but ice will "round" its self at ~400 kilometers in diameter. So there could be objects orbiting the sun (or other star) That could be concidered planets and other object that are 10X larger that are not concidered planets. Not to mention that there will always be the fluke of accidental (situational) roundness or unroundness.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,195 Posts
Yeah we don't want any unround planets. :mad: Then you can't use a marble and a pool ball and a bunch of other stuff to make your science project. I guess a piece of rock rubble might work though.

·
Administrator
46,690 Posts
three90s&125sump said:
I think it is an excellent idea and very logical to say the least. I do however think there need to be boundries for typical matters and thier masses. it is known that there is a threashold that an object has to reach before becomming a star. The deteriming factor is what the main composition if the object is.. IE: if jupiter were 30X larger it would be a star, this would be a binary system and we would not exsist. There is a very clear threashold for this. With solid matter it is another story... IE: A palnet that is 90% iron would not become "round" and be concidered a planet unless it were ~6000 kilometers in diameter but ice will "round" its self at ~400 kilometers in diameter. So there could be objects orbiting the sun (or other star) That could be concidered planets and other object that are 10X larger that are not concidered planets. Not to mention that there will always be the fluke of accidental (situational) roundness or unroundness.
re: Jupiter, I think that it being 30x bigger wouldnt make it a star unless the jupiterians have a nuclear meltdown and the whole planet reasces critical mass, having nuclear fire at some point seems to be the common denominator among stars

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Doug1 said:
re: Jupiter, I think that it being 30x bigger wouldnt make it a star unless the jupiterians have a nuclear meltdown and the whole planet reasces critical mass, having nuclear fire at some point seems to be the common denominator among stars
Sorry doug,

If Jupiter were 80X (sorry, after some research I see that it would need to be 80X larger than it is currently) larger than it is, the pressure of the planet's gravity compressing the hydrogen would start the "fire". The Hydrogen would then start to fuse into helium atoms and the "planet" would begin to radiate light from the atomic fusion causing it to become classified as a star. This is what causes a star to be a star (in 99.9% of cases).

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Should be interesting to see how it turns out. I just read a bunch of stuff on the sun while helping my daughter with her science project. Some stuff I learned: It is 11000 degree's on the sun's surface and the core gets to a wopping 27000 degrees. It's been around about 4.6 billion years and they think it has enough energy for another 5 billion before it implodes and takes out earth and most of our solar system with it. Glad I won't be around for that!

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
jenajet said:
the core gets to a wopping 27000 degrees.
Not only that but each second about 700,000,000 tons of hydrogen are converted to about 695,000,000 tons of helium and 5,000,000 tons of energy in the form of gamma rays.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,195 Posts
Man now you tell me this when I was ready to start a Nano. My tank will last at least a second longer and you big tank boys have maybe two more.

Yep...I agree with Butch...we better just get ripped and get ready. :help:

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Bye Bye Pluto
Glad to see that I wasted my time with my solar system projects. I could have saved money by buying 1 less syrofoam ball. **** the man!

·
Registered
104 Posts
So your telling me that i was right back in the 6th grade!!!!!! I received an F for that project because i left out Pluto!!!! I'm going to go back an stuff that syrofoam ball up their nose.

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
This could cause a MAJOR dive in styrofoam stock due to a 12% loss in ball sales!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts