The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20g tank, 20lbs of LR, SD and CC mix for substrate, seaclone protein skimmer. 1 BTA and a mated pair of skunk clowns. You guys think it will work? What would you add or subtract(not with standing the seaclone)

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
well you know most people hate the seaclone anyway,I dont think a skimmer is needed on a 20 gal especially with water changes.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seaclone blows...no doubt about that. As far as lights, I am using 2x96 PC's. They are a little long since the tank is 24 long and the lights are 36 long but it's a little extra light for some house plants next to the tank... So Casey, are you saying to run it w/o the skimmer and just a PH for water movement? Or use a HOT filter such as a penguin? I figure that I will do 10-20% water change per week using water from my 75g. Should I do more?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I don't think I would use water from the 75.

I would use fresh RO/DI made Saltwater. If you use water from the 75 you might be introducing something you don't want in the Nano and you might not be replenishing the trace elements like you would if you used fresh made.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ck...what about the ratio's on the water change? 10-20%? Should I use the skimmer? The way I look at it, the skimmer won't hurt.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Toad - I've got a 20 that started with 110wt pc. Presently it's up to 300wt MH and 68wt pc. Some heat issues when it was really hot, but everything has cooled down nicely.

As for a skimmer, I run a Remora. I think that it offers a little margin for error that you may not have with strickly water changes.

I currently have a mix of SPS, LPS,softy, carpet and everyone is happy.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I would do 10% weekly siphoning out anything unwanted in the process. The skimmer probably won't hurt but definatly keep up with the water changes as the skimmer can skim out many items that will need to be replaced with the water chages (along with skimming out all the bad).

ALso note that if you do the 10% weekly you could easily get by without a skimmer especially if you keep you fish bio-load light.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I think you could get by without the skimmer. I like running my Nano very simple. The less daily chores you have to do the more likely your going to do the water changes and keep it cleaner.

Just make sure you don't over feed (fish seem to stay healthier if they stay a little hungry as opossed to always being "fat and happy"). You could also get some kind of shrimp. The shrimp would quickly consume any food the clowns miss.

If I want alot of complication I just go play with the big tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts