The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everybody think of the six line wrasse? I've never had one, and I'm thinking of adding a very young one as the last fish in my 29 gallon. I've read that they can get aggressive. Is that normal, or rare? Will he cohabitate with my other fish (occelaris, firefish, and a randall's goby)? The new LFS has a beautiful looking young one and I'd like to pick him up. Any thoughts please in the next few hours... thanks

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just read that they will eat shrimp. We don't have one yet, but my wife would eventually like to pick up a shrimp. She's not picky... probably a cleaner or a scarlet. Would the six line eat it? I also read on a site that they are not good with easily intimidated fish like gobies. I have one very easily intimidated Randall's goby. Would that be a problem?

·
Shinigami-sama
743 Posts
I really like the six-line as well. The first one I had got a little pushy as he got bigger, mostly towards the firefish. No where near as mean as a damsel though. Didn't mess with the tang, clowns, gobies or the other wrasse. Then one day he dive bombed the hardwood.

The one I have now is about 2", and he doesn't mess with anybody, so we'll see as he gets bigger. I suppose it varies by individual, and what tank mates they're with.

I also have 2 skunk cleaners, a blood/scarlet shrimp as well as two 1" pistol shrimp, and he never messes with any of them.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to hold off on picking it up right away. When I tested my system today, my nitrates were a little higher than normal. I'll retest in a few days after my weekly water change and see where I'm at. It seems like, from what I've been reading, they do well if they are introduced last, which is what I want to do.

I've read that they eat bristle worms. Will they eat vermetid snails as well? I have one harassing some mushroom polyps. If he'll eat that, it'd be an added bonus.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have a 6line in my 24, he's very interesting to watch. Mines very friendly, my maroon clown is alot more agressive. They do eat bristleworms. Before i brought him home whenever i fed i would see some come from out the rocks, I havnt seen them since he was placed it.

·
Professional Tread Killer
754 Posts
i finally got me a really small 6 line saturday. after being beat up by my yellow tail damsel its stayed in a rock. i moved my damsel into another tank and its still just moving between the rocks. i did get it to eat some mysid shrimp though. won't touch the pellets. lol. hope mine will come out and swim. they are beautiful fish.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
when added last they are not very aggressive. when added first they can be very aggressive. they eat pods, and small snails. they also have a small mouth so most oriental shrimp are fine. they are jumpers, so a tight canopy is a good thing.

G~

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My 02

A six line is a great looking fish but is a very effecient preditor which will consume all the micro stars, pods, bristle worms etc in your tank - a potential problem if you have a DSB or if your considering purchasing a Mandarin.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have heard people say they can be aggressive but mine gets along with every fish in the tank. Which are 2 sebae clowns, 1 yellow coris wrasse, 1 neon goby, 1 scarlet cleaner shrimp, and a flame angel. He and the yellow coris wrasse pig out on pods all day long.

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
Mine gets along fine with the other fish in the tank but will kill any wrasse that I add afterwards. Just something to think about if there are other wrasses you are considering.
JME though

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a six line in my 75 with a ****-sel,a sailfin,a tomato clown,a pink skunk clown,and a royal gramma,they all get along,he does eat up the bristle worms and the pods,But on that note he'll prevent flatworms to!

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Years ago, I had a 1" x 1" uncovered spot above my old 75, near my Penguin filter. Can you guess what happened? Cover it thoroughly. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
great fish, i have kept them with cleaner shrimp with no problems unless i went a very long time without feeding. will beat the crap out of any other wrasse, mandarins, basslets, or any fish with a similar body shape if they are added after the six line. definitely worth it. very active, and show a lot of personality. small ones will clean other fish.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cool. I really like the color on them and how active they are. My firefish and Randall's goby are just so psychotically skittish that I worry about a six line stressing them out. They do really well in my tank, but any change or rapid movement sends them hiding. Thank you all again for the advice. I will probably add him in the next week and just watch the others closely.

The tank is well covered because of the firefish and the randall's, but I'll make sure to seal as many escape hatches as possible.

·
Professional Tread Killer
754 Posts
My 02

A six line is a great looking fish but is a very effecient preditor which will consume all the micro stars, pods, bristle worms etc in your tank - a potential problem if you have a DSB or if your considering purchasing a Mandarin.
ah man. you gotta be kidding me.. aaarrg.. looks like the kids may be getting another fish.. lol. well.. then again. i am going to have a pod farm when i get a mandrian. my damsel beat up my 6 line. had to move the damsel to the hermit tank. atleast i have another tank to put him in. lol..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts