The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wondering if anyone has experience with pakistan butterflys. also, would it be unwise to add one to my setup considering current livestock and filtration?
thanks!

50 gallon
jbj pc 96 watt x2
hob skimmer
fluval 405
2x koralia 4

60# live rock (tonga)
40# live sand

pair ora oscellaris b&w clowns
copperband butterfly
royal gramma
diamond goby
lawnmower blenny
skunk cleaner shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
3 emerald crabs
around 40 red tipped and blue leg hermits
10 nassarius snails
2 astraea snails
8 bumblebee snails

candy cane coral
zooanthids
frogspawn frag
mushrooms
pipe organ coral
flower pot coral

tropic marin pro reef salt
aqua vitro additives

·
CONSTANTLY LEARNING
1,598 Posts
I had to keep mine in the butterfly only tank as it, like many other 'fly's, would pick at certain corals. As it was a long time ago when I first got them, I don't remember specifically which fly picked on which corals any more, other than the only one that didn't was my copper band so it got left in one of the reef tanks.
The only other one I didn't have trouble with was a yellow long nose, but it died after a couple of years and the replacement one I got, did pick at corals.
My pakistani butterfly was the most impressive one I had.
I've sold off all my 'flys now and am changing the tank over to seahorses, along with a lot of other tanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the quick reply. so you suppose my main problem would be compatibility with the coral, not the copperband? im almost ready to go fowlr to save $ anyway.

·
CONSTANTLY LEARNING
1,598 Posts
Well I guess I had the same problem so I did both, even though I'd already had a lot of reef tanks set up prior to my butterfly tank.
There were squabbles in the tank, but they sorted out their own pecking order with the raccoon at the top and pakistani second. After those two, the rest were pretty well even until the last which was definitely picked on the most in the tank and that was a threadfin.
I remember finding though, some I couldn't keep in my reef, I have seen in other hobbyists reefs and no apparent problems with them, including one reef had a raccoon in it.
My raccoon tore into just about anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.