The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a matter of my own curiosity, but for those of you who have starfish, do yours ever sometimes climb up onto the glass and splat their stomach out all over? :D

My chocolate chip star seems to do this when it wants me to spot feed it.
Normally I drop in a big chunk of food and it finds it on its own, but on occasion the snails or fish eat it first, and the starfish climbs up onto the front pane of glass and extends its stomach out and it sits there until I give it another piece of food.

The first time I saw it, it disturbed me for about two seconds before I remembered that starfish do extend their stomachs to eat.

Other odd things it does:
When I'm changing water, the starfish will come out, and climb up to the water line, then extend out 'backwards' so only two legs are hanging onto the glass, and its underside is touching the surface of the water.
As the water level decreases, it uses the two legs on the glass to move down with it. Tube feet wiggle above the water line while it does this. If I move the starfish back to the bottom or back so it's underwater completely, it climbs right back up to do this again.

It also will climb up onto the powerhead, and let itself get blasted off by the jet, then climb right back up and do it again. Over and over.
If I didn't know better, I'd say the starfish were PLAYING.

It's also the host for my maroon clownfish, which is terribly odd, but somehow cute to watch. The clown brushes against the starfish like it would an anemone. She's got no interest in the green hairy mushrooms. She wants the starfish. Thankfully, the starfish doesn't seem to mind, and she doesn't harass it incessantly.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
My old chocolate chip starfish never spread its stomach onto the glass. It did like to move up to the water's surface often and fan out it's legs like you described. I ended up getting rid of mine before it got a taste for my corals. I didn't want to take the chance of waking up in the morning with a bunch of corals missing.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
Sometimes they are, sometimes the're not. I had mine when my tank was FOWLR. I took my chocolate chip starfish out shortly after I converted my tank into a reef. I have seen other people that have them in their reef tanks and not have any problems.

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
i have a maroon serpeant and i have yet to see it come off of the sandbed or the surfaces of the rock. as for the star coming up to the water level like that, i once read somewhere starfish will do that when the water quality changes since they are so sensitive to changes in water chemistry. i think it said they do that to try and stabilize their body.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DevilBoy said:
i have a maroon serpeant and i have yet to see it come off of the sandbed or the surfaces of the rock. as for the star coming up to the water level like that, i once read somewhere starfish will do that when the water quality changes since they are so sensitive to changes in water chemistry. i think it said they do that to try and stabilize their body.
Evidently that means my water quality tends to change every day at certain times. ;)
This guy will do it first thing in the morning, and about 10 minutes after I tun the light off at night.
Otherwise, it tends to stick to the floor or the rocks.

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Tviokh said:
Evidently that means my water quality tends to change every day at certain times. ;)
This guy will do it first thing in the morning, and about 10 minutes after I tun the light off at night.
Otherwise, it tends to stick to the floor or the rocks.
am not saying your water is bad, but it does seem strange to me first thing in the morning? Low pH? 10 mins after lights out? High pH? just something to consider....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Do you feed your sifters rotty.
Mines bout three weeks old and has gone around my tank as if searching .
Im wondering if i need to feed it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts