The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have a 20 gal reef and already have spent $1500
I CAN SEE HOW THIS CAN GET OUT OF HAND REAL FAST!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Wow Rob!

I know the feeling. Just adding up the stuff I want to get, and realizing how much of that acutualy gets in my "Have it now" list are 2 big diffrences. :)

Things I didn't keep in mind, how much testing kits and suppliments cost. Man that stuff adds up ina hurry!

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
rob99 said:
I CAN SEE HOW THIS CAN GET OUT OF HAND REAL FAST!!
Larry Jackson spoke at one of the late 1990's MACNA meetings and said that setup for a marine system should be about $50 US a gallon for the initial setup and about $1 to $2 a gallon each month to maintain. DYI will save a little on this, but over time, I have found that he was pretty close to the mark. Having some experience helps keep you from making expensive, stupid mistakes, I have a closet full of expensive, stupid mistakes...

:rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
315 Posts
My wife and I have discussed this before, we figure between our two tanks, we have spent around $35.000. That figure includes our losses to, thank God the losses are far and few inbetween these days. But with all the exspense, still love it.:)

Bill

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Bill is that all I figure I have hit the 100,000 mark :D :beer:

·
Registered
84 Posts
one month and $2000 poorer. Cant wait till I start adding fish.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Well my reef tank is priceless in one term and thousands in the term of lost critters, stupid mistakes, etc.

If money was the main issue, I would not have a reef aquarium plain and simple. I love this hobby!! Enugh said!:D

·
Registered
680 Posts
My old tank is currently tore down & I’m getting more equipment a little at a time for a 90 gallon that I’ll be setting up this fall. I figure that I will have close to $3000 into it :cool:
:D Of course that is equipment only :D

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have to agree with Johnny that you really can not put a price on the challenges and enjoyment you get back from it. I have spent thousands & thousands on equipment and livestock, but it was all worth it! BTW I am getting ready to order another money pit, I mean tank! A 120 gallon cube w. starphire glass :eek: , I can not wait to get it set up...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WHERE ARE YOU GETTING YOUR TANK?

I WAS THINKING OF GETTING THE EXACT SET UP AS YOU!
WHO IS MAKING THE TANK AND COST?
(IF YOU DONT MIND ME ASKING)
IT WILL BE FOR A SPS ACROPORA TANK I AM DREAMING ABOUT
THERE I GO AGAIN WITH THE MONEY SPENDING!
GOD HELP ME!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Tell ya, if I had the money or space I would start a larger reef. At this time future projects include installing a calcium reactor to the reef, and a new lighting system for the FOWLR. Things have priorities, kids are going to have to buy there own school clothes this year:funny:

Bill

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have a little over 2000 in my present tank and my 240 that I will finaly pick up on friday of next week has already cost me 1700. But I figure in the long run the tank will cost me around 20,000 till its fully stocked and maintance over the next 5 years.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I dont even wanna think bout it!!!!

Jeff

·
Registered
808 Posts
man i feel rich after looking at those numbers!
i just set up a 29 gal reef for i think around 4-500 bucks!
yes, lots of diy and second hand. for example: 2x55 watt pc setup with everything but bulbs, 50 bucks!
frags from trades and sales: 75 bucks and i have a total of about 11 different corals. and fish also

keep your eyes peeled and look in odd places to find the pot of gold and youll save BIG!

good luck,

i cant say the same numbers for my 135 but so far im around $400 there too but i have no fish yet!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I really havn't kept track of how much money I have spent on my tank. I don't think that I am gonna start now either! My wife would kill me if she really 'knew' hehe. Now hmm that 120 i wan't...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Total denial, the only way to go! " Wow hun I had no idea, ok I'll settle down some" ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm just starting to deal with the sticker shock...

I am about to pull the trigger on a 150g 5' tank. Have never had an aquarium before so am starting from scratch. To set up the system I want, will cost (Canadian $):

Tank (drilled) $ 700
Stand 1,400 (it's a NICE stand!)
Sump 500
Pump 300
Power heads 200
VHO and MH lights 1,500
Skimmer 700
Refugium seed 200
RO Filter 400
Heater 100
Live rock 1,500
Sand 200
Plumbing, etc 300

Total $ 8,000 (and that's without any livestock!)

But I'm not concerned...the kids didn't really need to go to university anyways...

:rolleyes:

BTW, if anyone has any comments regarding the above list (ie: prices are out of line, missing anything critical, etc.), let me know. Remember the exchange rate (currently at about .72)...would make total cost in US approx. $5,700.

Mark

·
Registered
658 Posts
That's not too bad...
If you use the $50 (U.S.) rule, 150x50=7500... so that leaves you about $1800 to stock it.

That must be a nice stand for that price :D

Why are you paying so much for a sump? I built mine with a 10-gallon tank (yours would definitely be larger), some plexiglas baffles I cut on my tablesaw, some tape, and aquarium silicone. I also use submersible pumps so drilling wasn't a problem... you can have your local glass shop drill the glass for you, but they probably will tell you that it's your liability if they break it.
Doing it yourself in this case could save you some definite cash... maybe half your budgeted cost (and it's a fairly easy project to boot).

Otherwise your costs all look alright... looks like you're going to buy quality equipment.

I'll say hi to your kids next time I'm in McDonalds... :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the sump...it will be about 50g total capacity with the refug...I'll definitely ask the question about the cost though.

$1,800 to stock it assumes I'll have $1,800 left..:funny: ...

The stand IS nice...I'll post pics of the entire set up once I get it in place (likely late August).

Mark

1 - 20 of 31 Posts