The Reef Tank banner

Thinking of tearing down the tanks...

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  zero186 
#1 ·
Ok guys... Some of you have know me for while, most not. Thinking about tearing down all the tanks. Just getting tired of dealing with all the issues... salt creep, water leaks, cyno, slime, cost, time, etc... Been thinking about this for some time now and getting even closer to doing it.

I'll be keeping my 125g display tank and stand for the red-eared slider when it gets bigger.

A list of items to get rid of:
75g tank currently used as sump w/electric ATO.

2 36" 4-bulb t5 nova extreme lights, with moon LED and parabolic reflector.

Skimmers: 1 Aqua C remora, 1 Octopus 200 recirc(I think)

2 HOB overflows, both dual u-tube w/dual 1"? drains w/ aqualifter pumps and filters. Excellent overflows! NEVER broke syphon even after 3 days of no power.

Assorted maxi-jet powerheads mostly 1200s a couple 900 (2 still in box)

1 150 gpd RO/DI 4-stage with newer membrane, 3 additional DI stages, digital in/out inline TDS meter, remaining DI resin and enough line and fittings to hang youself with.

2-40gal rubbermaid trashcans with lids and wheels and plumbed ATO float valves.

Livestock:
LTA w/hosted skunk clown, will not separate
2 ocellarus clowns, mated, will not separate.
lg Yellow Tang
sm six-line wrasse
2 grn chromis, will not separate
Extremely lg CB shrimp.
peppermint shrimp
sm queen conch
2 lg brittle stars
assorted hermits and snails
lg plate fungia
md plate fungia
lg coco worm
coco worm rock, also contains sm maxima? clam and possibly sm mantis shrimp
md to lg Squamossa clam
lg orange monti, can be easily fragged into about 6 or 7.
sm established orange monti
fuzzy acro
purple acro
a piece of mushroom rock w/white sponges (not pineapple) and a jumbo type of zoa and clove xenia.
very lg devils hand that can easily be fragged into 3.
frogspawn

There's probably more but that's all I can think of right now. I can meet anyone within an hour of Louisville, Ky for livestock and possibly a couple hours away for equipment. Not willing to pay to ship.

Like I said, I'm still only seriously considering it... not definate yet.

See less See more
#4 ·
If its a matter of feeding your family or feeding your fish, tear it down. If your just in a slum with your tank. Ride it out. One night my tank overflowed and there was water everywhere. Well........I spent an hour cleaning it up, and it was the 3rd time it had done that in two weeks...I was ready to quit right there. I even put my tank up on craigslist and had 4-5 responses to buy it......I almost called the guy to come pick it up and I looked at my tank......all three fish were at the top of the glass looking at me calmly and just stared at me.......It got to me and I never called anyone to pick it up. Im glad my fish were begging me not to sell them, haha, im still enjoying it. There are days my tank looks like hell....and I want to give up. But I know in a week or two, with hard work, it will be awesome again. :) Hang in there

#5 ·
After talking with my wife, the big one is coming down. I'm going to keep the small one for now. I'm just tired and bored and need to spend time on other things, plus, I could use the money that I would save, by not having it. It not a matter of feeding my family. I've been into saltwater since 97 and I'm just tired.

I will also have approx 150 lbs of live rock. As livestock comes out so will the rocks and going into a cook bin.

Live stock needs to go before equipment can. Livestock will only go to adequate tanks.

PM me with any offers or questions...

Admins, if this needs to be moved to 'for sale', please do so.

#9 ·
Best of Luck whatever you decide !! It happened to me 15yrs ago . I got rid of most things but kept the 135G tank and stand and it sat outside under a tarp for quite some time.It's FW now. I could have set it up in October but decided to go with a 15g which went to a 34g . Not sure if I'll ever get the nerve to jump back into the 135G.
Cheers and Good Luck !!:thumbup:

#7 ·
Many hobbies come and go. At one point I had 300 gallons of tanks in my house (84 salt, 30 brackish and the rest fresh) but I have never had less than 10 in the last 10 years. If you have room to store drygoods I find many things I will re-use. The skimmers are worth more now than they will be in the future, same goes for lights. But I have had times when I was barely in the hobby. If it is more work than it is fun you have too much ;) Good luck whatever you decide.

#12 ·
Jonnosteams
I cant tell you how many times Ive been where you are right now. At one point I had 4 tanks in my small apartment and I would spend a day changing water and cleaning the tanks. I posted all of them up for sell. In the end I decided to keep my 150 and boy am I glad I did. I really think once you get saltwater in your vanes its always running through your blood. What ever you do we support you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.