The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
until my damsels die or get too big and i want to get rid of them...im thinkin of getting a few sea urchins...looking on liveaquaria i like the long spine black but they are venemous...i also like the pincushin urchins...any ideas on which to start looking into or to just stray away from them period...they are algae eaters as well

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I read the pin cushion is less agressive and better for reef tanks.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
no, pincushion is baaaaad... they are worse than decorator crabs when it comes to picking up corals and stuff as they go. I recommend a pencil urchin but it might eat your silicone seams... if your careful with the long spine they are fine. even if they poke you it is more of a large glass splinter than anything.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok well i read the thread tim gave and its given me some ideas...but since im not looking at a coral tank jus FO im leaning towards the blue tuxedo...or some other pincushin...only because they stay relatively small..mind you this is all waiting for my damsels to go but if any of you can chime in with the pros and cons of these beautiful creatures it would be great

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
heres the thing...incase some dont know...i have PLENTY of room for the black long-spine...ohh yes will he eat an anenome...ive been wanting to get rid of this thing but he wont dislodge himself from the bottom...but anyway plenty of room for a black urchin but will it be a threat to any of the fish i would have by then (arc-eyed hawk 2 clowns)

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
MAttie,
you dont have to wait for the bugger to kick the bucket.
you can still look at the long black spiny , yes you dont want to kiss it or play with it, but they are really a good herivore and will help control algae in the tank ( not all types though)
look at the Diadema setosum dont worry everyone i the tank willknow not to play with it too..also just becasue it is called a long BLACK does not mean you have to get the black one. they do have some suttle color changes in them.

lets talk about the tuxedo Mespilia globulus this guy is really cool look urchin some of the color morphs now a days are neat.they too are herb eaters but will eat some meaty things from time to time. the spines on it are very short and they do "collect " things fromthe tank, they do this on purpose, most likly as a defensive thing.
now look at pencil urchins Eucidaris tribuloides they are an Omivore not really a good thing with fish..also they can get pretty big!

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
and no the LBS will not go after yoru fish. they will be fine. as far as the anemome if you need to move him, take a power head and point the flow towrds him, they really do not care for it, if you want to trade it in let the LFS know ahead of time and take a few shots of it in it "glory " before you take it to them..they usally look the worse when you try a trade in..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts