The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of setting up a 30G reef again. I have been out of reefing for over a year and a half.

I am debating on what tank setup to go with. Planning on soft corals and 2-3 small fish. I do not really want to tinker with modding too much. I do have a Litre Meter III for auto top off that I will use on any tank. I also have a Tunze stream that I would sell for a possible nano stream.

Setup 1
JBJ 28 Nanocube with the HQI and a chiller
Does this need a upgraded skimmer and how would you run it on this tank?

Setup2
Oceanic 29 Biocube
Does this need a upgraded skimmer and how would you run it on this tank? Upgraded lights?

Setup3
Oceanic 30G cube tank
Will need a skimmer, lights etc. Without a sump area will be hard for auto top off. With this setup a good HOB skimmer like a Deltec MC600.

What are your thoughts? What equipment?

·
Mommy Mod
5,294 Posts
Rob it's nice to see you back again :D

Winter has you thinking about a tank again huh, don't blame you at all.

My son has the 29 bio cube and it's a nice basic tank, we run it with the PC lights and no skimmer he has had softies and a few lps in it and until a major accident with hubby doing water change it was a great tank. We are going to set it up again after the new year.

I don't think any of those cube skimmers are anything more than airstone driven skimmers and you are better off with regular water changes.

The JBJ might be kinda cool and with the HQI and give you more versitility.

Does that help?

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah - The cold weather has me thinking of the Caribbean. I have to go look at these tanks in person as well soon. I thoguht about ordering soem LR this week and start curing it.

BTW - Nice Avatar - We took our daughter to the boutique at Disney as well. It was awesome!

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,667 Posts
:D It was a lot of fun! That was last fall.

We just got back from the Caribbean a few weeks ago... there are some dive pics from hubby and I's dive if you need some visuals.

I'm still plugging along with my tank... I am hoping slow and steady wins the race ;)
Pics please!

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
JBJ with the HQI. The hardest thing with nano tanks is the lighting setup. I looked at a JBJ (I think it was a JBJ anyway) with MH'es in it right after I bought my 12G tank and I have wished every day since then that I had bought that tank instead of mine. After the lights, everything else is simple to deal with.

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If I went with the JBJ 28 w/ HQI - Besides the chiller that will be a must - What else do I need?

How much LR for this size tank? 30 lbs?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts