The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Retired Wanderer
17,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone. Coffee is on.

Going in early. Yesterday was a mess. I am paired with a 19 year old. Nice kid, but teflon tape goes on backwards and stuff.

Yesterday He cut both ends of a fan motor stud, and I didn't have anything to dress the threads. That should have been an hour thing. No one to blame by myself, so going in early to load up the van with proper tools on my own time. The previous dude before me was a slob, so going to clean it up too. The owner is huge on keeping things clean.

Have a great day!

·
Administrator
19,599 Posts
Top of the morning Bro......and All pulling up a chair with us at the Training Table......HAPPY TUESDAY!

Coffee is up, and YUP, assorted Frosted Pop Tarts for your crumbly dinning pleasure.......I just took the last of the Frosted Blueberry, but Cherry and Strawberries are left.

Over the span of 50'ish some years having to.....trying to teach young'ins a job/trade has proven most futile for me Perry......attitudes, lack of abilities, lack of 'proper backing' from leadership, and MY FAILINGS as a good teacher has seen only 1 success story out of countless attempts.
I'll be the very first, and adamant proclaimer that I AM NOT A TEACHER......I'm a doer!

Have fun, enjoy, and be safe,
Hack

·
Retired Wanderer
17,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Top of the morning Bro......and All pulling up a chair with us at the Training Table......HAPPY TUESDAY!

Coffee is up, and YUP, assorted Frosted Pop Tarts for your crumbly dinning pleasure.......I just took the last of the Frosted Blueberry, but Cherry and Strawberries are left.

Over the span of 50'ish some years having to.....trying to teach young'ins a job/trade has proven most futile for me Perry......attitudes, lack of abilities, lack of 'proper backing' from leadership, and MY FAILINGS as a good teacher has seen only 1 success story out of countless attempts.
I'll be the very first, and adamant proclaimer that I AM NOT A TEACHER......I'm a doer!

Have fun, enjoy, and be safe,
Hack
I'll probably be the only guy over 30 by the end of the week. Blink once and something is destroyed. It is a fine line to try and teach, or to just say just watch. We could go on and on about lacking basic skills. I remember building motors and fixing my stuff out of necessity, and that was before youtube. Now they have a video to fix anything. This will be a test of patience. Getting out and about dealing with the public is a natural though.

·
Administrator
19,599 Posts
This will be a test of patience. Getting out and about dealing with the public is a natural though.
You've already bested me Bro one 2 fronts right there. :rolleyes:

The most glaring failure to 'do anything with' was Jen's younger brother.........in the early years she asked me to take him under my wings to try and 'motivate' him......after a few days assisting as a dock hand while I worked below, thought I'd throw him a bone.
It was a 'cleaning job' dockside on a 45'er.....had surface supplied air, and shared a 'Y'ed' air line......relatively clear water for this area.......couldn't stray more than 25' apart, and attached to the surface. EVERYTHING I'VE HAD HIM DOING IN THE POOL ALREADY dozens of times.

Sure enough I went over to check on him, and all I found was his airline hanging from the edge of the dock......GREAT, I gotta tell Jen I just killed her brother on his first dive.:eek: Up and down, scouring the slip, and adjacent ones.....over n over. After about 20 minutes jumped up on the dock to get my scuba tanks to go looking farther afield......then I see this sorry butt can't say all the words I use to walking down the dock with a soda and candy bar. Uhhhhh......"Oh I was hungry so took a break." Well I swear I didn't hurt him, he 'tripped'.....but obviously that was the end of THAT happy relationship. JEN on the other hand DID HURT HIM!

Nope, not my calling.
Hack

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
28,255 Posts
Good morning Perry, Hack and all.

Another pot of coffee going. Presley stsy over last night. Still sleeping,

Perry YouTube is cool fir certain things, but the problem is people ho on to fix things and just copies steps without any understanding of what Taking place. You can watch all the videos you want but you will never really know what your doing? Jacob and his friends are like that. It’s the younger generation

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,555 Posts
Morning all! Hope all are finding an awesome day. Cath I hope you are getting along with out too much discomfort. Busyish here. Contractors coming and going & stuff getting done. Beautiful day out - no humidity and a lovely breeze. I sure wish I could be out enjoying it.

·
Administrator
19,599 Posts
HiYa Vinnie and Rick!
BUSY vs RELAXING......OK, that balances things out nicely. :unsure: (y)

So why exactly am I posting, and smacking the 'like icon' this time of the day? BECAUSE.......'slow as runny boogers, ("SORRY Cath, no reference."), at work, and don't quite feel up to my normal Tigger bouncy self today, so good to to be doing this instead.....though I'm sure other stuff will pop up.
Hack
Gesture Sleeve Art Font People in nature

·
Super Moderator
28,337 Posts
Good mawnin’, Perry, Hack, Vinnie, Rick, and all of TRT!

thanks for the coffee and goodies, Hack. Sorry I don’t have anything equally yummy to share with everybody. I’m not on my game today.

I’m going stick my neck out on this. I don’t think it’s just young people that are not inspired have a high work ethic. There are many young people in this area who work very hard. Granted, some of them are in scouts or other useful things. Sigh… some people are just not self starters.

On that discouraging note, let’s make this a groovy day.

Lots of love and hugs and peace to everyone!

·
Super Moderator
22,696 Posts
Morning all.
Ran up north to the vet to pick up some of Max’s meds they forgot to give me yesterday,, no biggie .
On the way home I saw the the farmer with THE bestest sweet corn was open for the season , so of course I stopped .
Short story , someone had 3 ( first of the season , so they were kinda small/short) ears of corn at 9:30 CST . No apologies given,,, I’m not ashamed , haha.

Working up a mental list for keeping busy today, but first things first at putting in quality time with the feathered kids( and yes they also got fresh sweet corn 👍🏼)
A bit cooler outside, might help if/when I decide lawn lowering or other outdoor chores happen.

On to the day,

Hope everyone has a great one!

Reactions: cath

·
Administrator
19,599 Posts
......sssshhhhhhhhhhh......go grab your blanky, and rest Cath. We got this today.
Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Noodle

Hack

·
Super Moderator
22,696 Posts
Oops, I saw that the pic of Buddy’s paw print did not show up on yesterday’s post, along with others commenting that vids/pics were wonky ,,,
So here is another attempt: Food Tableware Dishware Ingredient Recipe

·
Super Moderator
28,255 Posts
This is funny.
A little boy wanted $100 badly and prayed for two weeks but nothing happened. Then he decided to write a letter to the Lord requesting the $100.
When the postal authorities received the letter addressed to the Lord, USA, they decided to send it to the White House. The President was so impressed, touched, and amused that he instructed his secretary to send the little boy a $5.00 bill, as this would appear to be a lot of money to a little boy.
The little boy was delighted with the $5.00, and sat down to write a thank-you note to the Lord. It read: Dear Lord, Thank you very much for sending me the money. However, I noticed that for some reason you had to send it through Washington, DC and as usual, those jerks deducted $95.

·
Administrator
49,096 Posts
Good morning all, busy day, woke up late cause phone was out in car charging, forgot to get it when power came back. Gonna be nother HOT day here. Hope they get fan in soon. Back to checkin stuff
Oh I am. Ot a teacher, I am a doer, follow me take notes and ask ?

·
Administrator
19,599 Posts
On the way home I saw the the farmer with THE bestest sweet corn was open for the season , so of course I stopped .
Short story , someone had 3 ( first of the season , so they were kinda small/short) ears of corn at 9:30 CST . No apologies given,,, I’m not ashamed , haha.
....... :unsure: ......What kind of corn do you deem worthy of praise Jeff? I know 'tastes' are a very personal/regional thing.
Growing up, and until perhaps maybe a dozen years or so, we use to have 'Sliver Queen' corn......tiny, almost white kernels, and very sweet.
Food Corn Corn kernels Corn on the cob Sweet corn

Then another 'local' variation appeared round me.....called 'Even Sweeter'......same attributes, but indeed sweeter than Silver Queen.

But then, this all seemed to have dried up......high breed yellow/white....tough....TASTELESS and what we use to call 'Horse corn' began flooding our markets......one by one local stands/farms quit offering it, in favor of THAT stuff. Almost looks like something 'tropical' with it's green leaves as it grows.

Looking and hoping this is the year the GOOD STUFF returns round here, and still a couple weeks out yet. One can only hope.
Hack

·
Super Moderator
28,255 Posts
Good mawnin’, Perry, Hack, Vinnie, Rick, and all of TRT!

thanks for the coffee and goodies, Hack. Sorry I don’t have anything equally yummy to share with everybody. I’m not on my game today.

I’m going stick my neck out on this. I don’t think it’s just young people that are not inspired have a high work ethic. There are many young people in this area who work very hard. Granted, some of them are in scouts or other useful things. Sigh… some people are just not self starters.
Lots of love and hugs and peace to everyone!
I agree with you on the fact that not all young people are lazy. Many are , but way to many haven’t been taught good work ethics.

·
Super Moderator
28,337 Posts
Thanks for the soup, Hack! I’ll scoop out the chicken and save it for you. But you gotta hurry, the others will likely get it and make chicken salad.I agree with you completely about silver queen corn. I like yellow corn OK but silver queen is much better.

·
Administrator
19,599 Posts
Agreed AGREED.....I also don't think gumption is an age thing. Always easier to say 'kids now a days' than the longer explanation.....but I firmly agree with Vinnie......'some' parents/teachers.....influencers' aren't stepping up.....that has ALWAYS LACKED in some instances, but once upon a time our Country had..... :unsure: .....hmmmmmm....("THIS will be tricky without having a MOD arrest me?"), .....a better moral influence, higher goals/standards set for us. We were encouraged to achieve...reach for the stars....help others....("Blasted handy soap boxes")
Hack

·
Administrator
19,599 Posts
......SORRY Cath! BAD chicken....I was wondering where Henrietta got off too. Too close to the pot I see. 😱 :ROFLMAO:
Hack

1 - 20 of 34 Posts