The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Reefer Man
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am thinking about getting a couple of jaw fish and was wanting more info on them. i was sure that some people here have some.thanks for your help.

Steve

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
I love Jawfish!

Although, I have to say I've had one jump (he found the one square inch in the top of the tank that wasn't covered by eggcrate), lost one to some ailment and had another die in a cave-in :( Guess I'm not very lucky with them.

I had been lucky in the fact that none of mine were real digging fools. I had one that tried to dig several burrows but I just kept closing them up and he finally settled on just the one. I've not kept more than one per tank so I can't say how they interact together from personal observation.

They are burrowers, not sand sifters; they feed from the water column, not from the sand bed and will eat just about anything you put in the tank. They love brine and mysid shrimp.

Give them some small pebbles and shells to line their burrows with, they can really pull off some feats of engineering. If you can find a nice flat shell they will often pull it over their burrow as a "door" at night time. Very fascinating fish!

~Alice

·
Registered
842 Posts
They are great fish with lots of personality. You said a "couple" of them? Do you mean two of them?? I had two in a 72 gallon and they had burrows in different areas but did not get along..One would go into the others burrow to bother it. I ended up putting them in separate tanks..and they are both doing great.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Hi there!! My wife and I have both had jawfishes and they are beautiful with the blue and yellow combination.
They will adapt quite easily to your reef tank or FO tank and will eat frozen brine shrimp, etc. Johnny:)

·
Registered
166 Posts
And will keep eating the aforesaid brine shrimp, flake, etc. until he/she has a cute little pot belly (ie they eat like little pigs.)

Deborah

·
Reefer Man
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have read that they are fun to watch in pairs. that they will take turns stealing rocks from each other. then i see in sallys note that she had probs with them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've heard that they are a bit unpredictable in multiples but in THEORY as long as there's at least a square foot of sand area for each fish they should be "ok". Don't know how to interpret that. I only have one, a dusky jawfish, and he is the GREATEST. I love fish that only reward those who look very carefully at the tank.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Okay...you guys convinced me..we're definately getting one of these guys for our reef. I think the yellow-heads are beautiful!
Scott Michael stresses to keep the tank covered..especially when you first get them and dim lights gradually.

Brooke

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mine is typically sold as a "dusky jawfish" (Opistognathus whitehurstii). There are several varieties of jawfish; others are more colorful but I like the dusky because of his iridescent eyes and camouflage color pattern.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts