The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow clam junkies, I am thinking about getting a couple. Bad part is I dont have a clue, other than they come in a shell, look real cool, need calcium and halides and there are a few different types. Is there anyone out there that would like to enlighten me on the finer points that I need to know to keep these little guys with out killing them through ignorance. I havent really found a lot in the way of detailed info.

I like the expensive blue ones, of course as luck would have it, but I would like for this to be an investment not an expensive experiment.

Tank specs...they are listed in the tank spec section, if it will help in making a suggestion or recommendation.

I would greatly appreciate any help someone could provide.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Imaexpat2,
I read your specs and it sounds like a cool tank. I would only worry about the eels, I just have never even thought of that mix. But a Tridacna would be an expensive dinner.
AlienDomain

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didnt think the eel would be an issue...but no worries. I gotta 55 he can be housed in, he is probably gonna end up there shortly anyways. I was mainly conserned with the lighting issue, do I have enough or do I need to go to 400's on the halides. I was also wondering if going with small ones 2" or getting some that were at least 3". I kinda like the idea of getting the smaller ones as I would like to put them in the sand in front of my live rock. I have several areas that are about 6 inches in diameter to place them if this is okay. I didnt want to put them in the rock work cuase I am a SPS coral freak and as such thats prime realestate. I am still kinda new to the reef thing too despite a decent set up. I have since found a couple of pretty good websites but I would still value anyones personal opinions, or personal experiences. Its just I was thinking about clams and how cool they look, but a bit cautious about getting any due to lack of knowledge about thier needs. Figured this would be the place to get the skinny on them. I would like to get 2 or 3 of them, but I am not hard set on getting any at all. Just looking at all possibilities. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your time and thoughts.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Imaexpat2 said:
Hey fellow clam junkies, I am thinking about getting a couple. Bad part is I dont have a clue, other than they come in a shell,
Ok lemme impart some wisdom to ya...

Everything ya need to know about clams!

They are excellent fried, yummy raw, and good in chowder.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You forgot steamed!! Yummm.....;)

·
Registered
290 Posts
!!!
**** my eyes!:cool:
Add steamed w/ butter!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Imaexpat2,
To be successful with Tridacna these are important factors; lower flow, stable pH, stable salinity, Ca of 400+, stable temp of no higher than 78-82F and lots of light. Get the book Giant Clams by Knop, it has lots of info on predators and diseases, which are just as important as water quality and lighting. You will also want to pick out a healthy specimen. A health clam will quickly react to touch and objects interrupting the light hitting them, it will have a thin inhalant siphon and have full mantle expansion. When you get the clam you will want to inspect the shell for pyram snails and egg masses. To be on the safe side I brush the shell of new clams with a tooth brush that I only use for this purpose. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Also Chowda is the only way to eat clams! The best chowda in the US is located at the Lobster House in Cape May NJ.:)

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
laddy00 said:
This may need a new thread but do clams really need that stable of a temp. They are lagoonal and I would suspect that the temperature does change somewhat during the day and that that temperature could be higher than the nearby ocean.
Probably not but I strive for it anyway.:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Originally posted by laddy00
This may need a new thread but do clams really need that stable of a temp. They are lagoonal and I would suspect that the temperature does change somewhat during the day and that that temperature could be higher than the nearby ocean.
I agree that a lagoon will be a higher temp during the day than the ocean, and clams can live in a somewhat wide range of temperatures but consider the volume of water you talking about, a lagoon vs. an aquarium (an aquarium with 400wt MHs over it). A tank like this could easily hit 85 within a hour or two if there were no fans or chiller to protect against this. A lagoon will heat up and cool down much slower. Clams can tolerate temps higher than 85, yes, but not for prolonged periods without causing stress or damage. If a clam is to do well in the long run, it is best to give it a stable environment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts