The Reef Tank banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
things that don't work at my house

Kriminie! The toilet in the guest bathroom is on the fritz again :( It won't flush and it keeps running water (not down the pipe). The chain to the flapper is in tact, so I compaired the mechanisms in that toilet to the toilet in the master bathroom. I don't see what's wrong. And of course, I couldn't turn off the water to the toilet. Found this out, of course, this evening so calling anyone to help was out of the question. To keep it from running, though, I propped up the arm that goes to the float(??) with a clothes pin. Best I can do for tonight. Any ideas there?

And this problem is silly, but I don't understand it. The remote control (yes, women use like to use them too) to my bedroom TV stopped working. Must be a dead battery..... So I put in 2 new AAA batteries, and it still doesn't work. Yup, I checked to be sure that I put them in correctly :rolleyes: So what's the deal with that? Never had that happen.

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
Hi cath,
You said the water keeps running but not down the pipe. I assume you mean that the water level does not rise in the tank? And keeps running into the bowl? If so it's probably the flapper. Sometimes they get warped and don't seat properly and let water flow past. The flapper is cheap and easy to change. Also, check to see that the chain is not catching on the flapper. Sometimes they are a little to long and wrap around the flapper preventing it from dropping down completely.
For the remote, check the contacts where they touch the battery. A little corrosion can stop a good connection.
HTH, Bob

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Hey Cath,

If the flapper is leaking then the tank should be empty this morning. Sometimes you can bend the float arm down so that the float goes deeper into the water. This puts additional pressure on the valve that turns the water on and off.

HD sells a universal toilet kit to replace the guts in the tank. They're not very expensive and it's an easy job. It comes with step by step instructions with pics.:)

·
Super Moderator
22,646 Posts
Cath, looks like you got plenty of answers on the toilet problem,,
on the remote control , if cleaning , and double checking of the battery status don't work , you could prob take the remote to a "Radio Shack" or the like, and they might have a infrared "checker", to make sure your remote is producing a beam, if it's dead, then have them fix you up with a universal remote that'll work wit your TV,,,good idea to take along the model # of the TV with,,,to make sure it'll be compatable.
a lot of uni remotes "learn" (you have ta teach/program it, no biggie) most of them just have to have entered a code # to match your TV, and you'll be good to go.....
if your remote does work, and still no go on making the TV do it's thang,,,the receiver end on the TV might be DOA,,prob/hope not,,,
good luck, keep us posted,,,
still waitin on Cath pics at Tom's:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
28,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hehehe on Cath pix ;)

Thanks for the detailed info on the remote, Jeff. I knew folks here would have lotsa good info to help :)

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Junkzoo said:
...still waitin on Cath pics at Tom's:rolleyes:
yeah... won't be long and I will have to post something in its place...

·
Super Moderator
28,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
update on my TV remote-

I tried all the things suggested, but just short of the all out Radio Shack trip for a Universal.

Funny thing is though...we had a power outage at some point this evening. , But by the time I got home, it was back on. I went to turn on my TV, forgetting that the remote didn't work. BUT, it worked this time. I guess the power outage re-set whatever was wrong with the TV. Does that make sense?

·
Super Moderator
22,646 Posts
cath said:
update on my TV remote-
went to turn on my TV, forgetting that the remote didn't work. BUT, it worked this time. I guess the power outage re-set whatever was wrong with the TV. Does that make sense?
only for you Cath dear,,only for you,!:D
most times a TV will get "stupid" after a power loss,most times i've seen it'll go to channel 3 and volume is all the way down,,,
can't give you a answer on this one,,mebbe you DID do sumpthin while messin' wit da remote,,,,:confused: :confused:
dunno,,,,
glad it's back ta working fer ya Cath!

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
cath said:
update on my TV remote
... forgetting that the remote didn't work. BUT, it worked this time. I guess the power outage re-set whatever was wrong with the TV...
Well, there is a squirrel-powered iMAC there, and there is the thing about no sump as well...

:p :eek: :p :eek: :p

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
cath said:
http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/edoom/toung.gif [/B][/QUOTE] Ohhhh Yyyyeeeeaaahhhhh!!!!!!

You must be post ing frm the library, cuz i [B]KNOW[/b] that you didn't post [i]that[/i] line of code in [i]that[/i] form from your iMac...:p

·
Super Moderator
28,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NOPE...I did it at home, Tom, and it shows up as an animated gif here :)
Nya nya nya!

;) ;)

·
Super Moderator
28,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
heheh it's a PC thang! too bad you guys can't see this gif! it's really kewl.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.