The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Listening to Terry's presentation last night got me to thinking (could you smell the smoke?)...

We've had a couple of things fall by the wayside - things that we could probably pick up again and either make some money on, OR at the very least, benefit our members.

Eric Borneman and Dana Riddle were videotaped. I don't have Dana's (Bob Lemcke?) but either Andy or I have Eric's -- Andy did I give it to you, or do I just think I did? *g* Last time we talked about it, Andy you were going to check on how much to get a professional service to dub copies....

We had lots of offers to buy copies, but we never made them available.

Also, Charles was going to look into getting us set up at Cafe Press for logo items -- any more word on that?

We're over halfway into the year and we're getting kinda complacent :D After chatting with Rob, Curtis and Andy last night, I'm somewhat inspired to get busy with some projects - I'll help whenever I can but I can't offer to chair anything right now... but I think those projects that were left off would be a good place to start... If we get movie copies, I don't mind packing and shipping them for the club, since I already get the club's mail and such...

Any thoughts?

Jenn

·
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll look in my cupboard - I think I intended to give it to you, but perhaps I did not. I got it from Dr. Todd :rolleyes:

Sam Alatar was just here, was mentioning it to him, he might post later about some ideas on this.

Jenn

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ref. Back Burner, converting VHS, Digital or Analog Camcorder material to CD

Hey all !

I'm still kicking, just been on the road and involved in some education development projects that have had me away everytime there has been a meeting.

The bright side of the development process, I came across a neat device, product name "Dazzle", I picked up at SAM's that allows me to digitize VCR, or playback/output from a ditigal or analog tape media camcorders.

The process is pretty simple, the only down side is the initial format from tape to digital is avi and a 20min. play time can easily be 2G in size...Yes I gaged and coughed as well and knew there had to be a catch for the unbelivable price of approx. $79.00 for this small device cause there was no way I was going to get that on a 700MB CD.. Well, I continued with the documentation to add titles and transitions...etc. Once I finally published what I put together it coverted it to a mpeg format file which dropped the size down to fraction of the original size approx. 40MB. The process of converting can be slow depending on the CPU processor speed, but it does not require any interaction and can be left to do it's thing.

Well...I guess what I'm saying is that I can try and convert and put any of the material we have onto a CD, which can be played on any PC. The application has an option of making the final product also work on a DVD player, however when I tried that it did not work on my DVD player. I still need to tinker with that option.

Let me know what you think.

Sam

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I have actually thought about the CafePress thing lately.

If we can decide on a logo to use and I can get it sent to me I'll set the CafePress thing up.

I figure A few different items --- it doesn't cost us anything and we do get a few dollars (we set that up) off of every purchase made. Also the members get club merchandise in the process. I personally wouldn't mind a Hat.

AnyHoo ---- Can we decide on a logo.

Do we use the banner thing ??
Or maybe the website thing ??
Or maybe something else ??

Any logo ideas ??

On another note --- we have spoke in the past about SIG's. I guess by now everyone has figured out that we have a Nano SIG in the workings. Will have the first meeting soon. We'll see how it goes then decide where to go w/ this --- if anywhere at all.

Will post details within the next week or so. Hopefully we can also get a blurb on the website --- will contact Rob via PM or e-mail about that.

If you haven't allready check out the Nano SIG thread for the basic idea of what we are attempting.

·
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In a previous thread I posted the logos that were chosen by the members from the contest we had in 2002. IMO we should use those, they can be copied from the post. They may have to be reformatted for Cafe Press, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

The logo on the website is a very close representation of the actual "official" logo - I doubt that anyone would notice a difference.

Jenn

·
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I'd use just one for the Cafe Press. If I could choose *g* I'd go with the one the members chose - my reference to the one on the website was simply to state that as it is now, it's close enough to the "original" but I'd use the original on any promotional gear. JMO but I think it's important to stick with what the members picked - we made a big to-do about the contest and the voting, only seems right to keep with what they chose at the time.

Again, JMO... :D

Jenn

·
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
robsweet said:
Yep, the 'official' logo on the gear sounds good to me as well.
OMG we agree! :funny: Hope the earth doesn't crack and suck me into oblivion on the way to work!!! :D

LOL!

Jenn

·
Registered
921 Posts
DVD recording

My neighbor also bought the Dazzle interface along with a DVD recorder. Blanks about $1.50 and the format is readable on all the computer DVD units we have tried but not TV top units. There is a format problem in the industry [+R,-R] which will take time to resolve. But it can record 4 gigabits using about 1 gig / hour. Sam's method of burning CD - .avi formats would work for an edited version. Using the CD format would ensure everyone can read it since all members have a computer and all computers newer than 1998 have CD players. Bonus for this venture is that any nominal cost [$4.95] would ensure a profit if Sam donates his time for recording.

Sam, my friend is William Smith, days at 404 686 5478, and he would be glad to confer on what he has learned.
:fish:

·
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That would be great if we could somehow produce DVDs of the lectures. Cheaper to ship too.... we had lots of people wanting to buy copies.

Sam, you also mentioned that you have a dual-deck VHS machine - that could dub VHS tapes :D

IF we can light this candle (I'll have my kids take a look in the video cupboard for the Boreman tape...), what do you all think of offering the copies to members "at cost" (ie: whatever it costs us to produce it) and to non-members at a profit to the club?

Jenn

·
Registered
55 Posts
Jenn,

that is correct I do have one of those dual deck VCRs that allow you to copy from one tape to another at a push of a button. I can make copies of the tape for anyone that would like it on that format.

William,

Thanks for your friend's number. I may have to contact him when we get this going. The application made it sound like you could burn a format on a normal CDR that would run in a DVD player. What I produced did work on my DVD/CDrom in the PC but not the home DVD player.

I will hook up with Jenn when I return to at least get some tapes copies made and then start digitizing it/them.

Thanks,
Sam

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Was wondering through CafePress.com last night.

We can use more than one logo.

We would use the banner for things that fit that format (bumper sticker for instance)

And use the official logo for hats, shirts etc....

Before proceeding I need to know a few things.

1) valid e-mail for this adventure (maybe [email protected] )

2) our clubs address (is it canton ??)

I'll probably need a little more info but that much will get me started.

·
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The "official" (ie: IRS) addy for the club has been my home, but I've been using the store's address for stuff like memberships etc. and would prefer (if you're going to continue to use my address...) to use the store's address, which is on my website (linked in my sig line...). I have no objection to official correspondence between Cafe Press and any other entity coming to me there.

Is Nelson still doing shirts at all? If he is, I'd respectfully suggest we let him continue to do so, and let Cafe Press do other novelty stuff like the stickers or mugs or whatever - stuff that he hasn't done previously.

Jenn

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
JennM said:

Is Nelson still doing shirts at all? If he is, I'd respectfully suggest we let him continue to do so, and let Cafe Press do other novelty stuff like the stickers or mugs or whatever - stuff that he hasn't done previously.

Jenn
I must disagree with that.

I don't know if Nelson is doing shirts any more or not but ---- he really hasn't been to many meetings lately and the last of his stock he gave to us to use for raffles and to pay for his membership.

On top of all that he doesn't offer a web based purchasing solution for our members and we (as a club) don't make any profit off his merchadise.

With all that in mind me really just need to let CafePress do it all. It is very automatic including the web page, credit card, returns, ect... All we do is set it up and collect a few dollars in profit as items sells --- what more could a club want for club merchandise.

And CafePress would be entirely reliable over the long haul --- members (Nelson Or otherwise) are not.

·
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It will come to me unless we (Rob or I) set it up to go elsewhere. If you are handling it, would you like me to set it up to forward to you? (Or we can have Rob do it... I don't want to step on any toes--- just want to be helpful).

Jenn

·
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh and as to the Nelson issue - that's fine - I just thought if Nelson was willing to do this and donate a portion of the proceeds to the club... it would be supporting a member. But I also understand about the other concerns.

Jenn

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I will initially set it up using [email protected] If you want setup [email protected] to forward to [email protected] and let me know when you've done that.

I beleive this is for administration/setup purpose. If we need to we can change it later on.

I think we need to keep our main merchandise line going through CafePress to keep it all together and web based.

I do think if Nelson wants to on occasion make a special run of some shirst and sell them at a meeting that would be fine. It would be nice if we made a dollar or two off each shirt for the club. We are not really going to make a fortune off the CafePress stuff it's really more of a service for our members that is totally transparent to the club officials.

As far as special shirts from Nelson --- Something like a Anthony Calfo/ARC shirt was along the lines of what I was thinking.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.