The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BTW- if properly packed hermits, snails, and plate corals can survive 3 days in shipping box!!

yesterday i got a call from our neighbor (photographer) who was at a clients. apparantly on Thursday FedEx dropped off a box of live fish at thier house. they do not own, or know anybody who has a SW tank. the client called the company and they said they will check into it, but asked them to try and find a home for the wayward critters.

of course i will see what i can do. at the time i had no idea they were shipped out on Wednesday for Thursday delivery. i though it was a Saturday or Friday delivery. when my neighbor arrived home after the shoot, she told me the package arrived Thursday!! i said i will see what i can do, but not to optimistic.

looking through the packaging and the invoice to see where i can put them i noticed every single piece of paper had NY written on them. it was definately not the livestock supplier. i can not see where on earth they thought the package was going to NC! one way off wayward package. :(

anyhow luckily all of the critters were reef safe (to most), so i was able to get them started acclimating. the cool packs in the package were still quite cool so i had to float them for a bit to get the temp back up to a reasonable temp. i was a bit worried about the ammonia, so i dumped a fair amount of their old water out and put more than i should of mine back in. almost immediately nearly all of the critters started springing back to life!! one bag that had a bunch of scarlet hermits was very brown and nasty, so only about 5 survived. the other bags of snails and hermits i expect a good 90% survival rate! there was a long tentacled plate coral in there also. i was really worried about this one, but like the others, when my water hit the coral it started to fill almost immediately. so far all seem to be doing fine.

of course now i have a whole shipment of critters in my tank that i would not have ordered, but what can you do. ;)

not a big fan of nassarius, now i have about 20. not a big fan of hermits, now i have about 30 of them. this was going to be a SPS only tank, but now it will have a plate coral also. :D

i am most surprised at the survival rate of all of these critters after 3 whole days in a bag!!

G~

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
cant beat freebies, even if you didnt want them, you can always donate them to a local reefer in need of some cheap help.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Post some pics. I have been looking for a nice LTP for my tank (hint hint). I have had no luck finding any of them locally and I have yet to order them online (which I have had very little luck linding them there either).

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Wait a second...am I reading this right? Your tankless neighbor received a shipment of livestock they didn't order, and phoned you?

Play the lottery soon, Geoff!!! :D

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
ChrisPrusha said:
Wait a second...am I reading this right? Your tankless neighbor received a shipment of livestock they didn't order, and phoned you?

Play the lottery soon, Geoff!!! :D
LOL, Gee-Off odered it and sent it to the wrong place on purpose so he could claim non-delivery.:agree:

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jason, yea that is what i did. i figured out where my neighbor was going to be this weekend than ordered livestock from somewhere to be shipped to NY, but secretly scrambled the FedEx tracking system to send it to NC instead. of course instead of sending to my house (which would have been easy since i cracked the FedEx tracking system) i used this person i have no clue about instead.

dang i'm smart!!! :rolleyes:

G~

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Geoff said:
Jason, yea that is what i did. i figured out where my neighbor was going to be this weekend than ordered livestock from somewhere to be shipped to NY, but secretly scrambled the FedEx tracking system to send it to NC instead. of course instead of sending to my house (which would have been easy since i cracked the FedEx tracking system) i used this person i have no clue about instead.

dang i'm smart!!! :rolleyes:

G~

Teach me Obi Wan Kenobi.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts