The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could NOT find the famous Southdown sand that ALL talk about anywhere here in Florida. I went up North to NC for a little R&R and stoped by a Home Depot and Low and behold, I found the sand thats worth its weight in GOLD up in them Hills of NC.....:drool: So I brought a few bags back home with me.:D I thought my truck sucked gas down on the way up, after loading her up with 16 bags (800lbs worth.) of sand, it cost a fortune to bring it back home...*LOL* I figured I bring enough back for my future 300gal dream tank...*LOL*LOL*

Attachments

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I didn't know you could put that in reef tanks. It is for the tank isn't it? With me everything is about the reef tank.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats all they talked about using in a Reef tank in here and in other forums. Some member on TRT paid $45.00 for 3 bags of the sand ..Ouch. After looking at the amount of gas I used, that might be what I have invested in mine..*LOL*

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
That's what I have in mine; I think I've got about 130lbs in my 75g.

It looks really good, but it's super fine so it seems to blow around easy (it really does becuase it's so new).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
theplatypus, I could not even find it here at my LFS.:( I guess when you pay $15.00 a bag and you only need 2-3 bags for your average tank, its not bad after paying out the nose for the rest of the reef tank equiptment. At $15.00 a bag, that may have been the least costly expense for the tank.....:D :funny:

afbengochea, Im here in the Tampa bay area. I wish I would have know before going up North.....:)

saltwater_wannabe, YOU are correct about it blowing around. Its SUPER fine sand. I have no fish in my tank right now, still going through its cycle period. I bet the fish stir it up when they get startled...Reef Tank Sand Storms....:funny:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I was doing some research on getting my tank started. Most people were going/switching to Southdown sand and getting away from the crushed coral. They were talking about how it was better for sand sifting creatures and fish. I must say, its on the very fine side and it does blow around if you have any kind of water current hitting it. I could not really find anything bad people were saying about Southdown sand. There was more bad talk about crushed coral thats why I went with Southdown sand.:thumbup:

·
Administrator
46,687 Posts
VWD said:
You all like that sand?
Southdown was the holy grail of substrates for quite a while with the advent of Deep Sand Beds. Thye reason is that its aragonite sugar sized sand.
Sand storms are a problem with oolitic sand but in time the grains get coated with biofilms that help keep it in place. Needless to say its not going to work in a tank setup as an SPS Jacuzzi

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doug1, You stated "Southdown was the holy grail of substrates for quite a while." What is the holy grail now? Is the SD sand still popular? I hope so....:)

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
I really like it so far. The critters that I scavenged from my old Crushed Coral are already burrowing little tunnels everywhere and it seems that I already have some Nitrogen being stored for there are little gas bubbles starting to develop in the bottom inch or two. It's only been in my tank for 3 weeks, but it seems to be doing it's job.

I a little scared to siphon it for my first water change; go a little too deep with the hose and you'll have half of the sand bed in the bucket. :D

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
Scuba Dan said:
Doug1, You stated "Southdown was the holy grail of substrates for quite a while." What is the holy grail now? Is the SD sand still popular? I hope so....:)
The holy grail would have to goto BB tanks. No substrate at all.

South Down sand will work for your tank.

Tim

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ive seen a few BB tanks and I personaly dont care for the looks if it. (Just my opinion, please dont shoot me...:) ) It looks so unnatural and I thought the point of a reef tank was to simulate the natural ocean floor. Like I stated, its just how I look at it. NOTHING against you wonderful people who use the BB method:) ....I dont want to cause any waves here..:D
Reef-On..........:beer:

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,658 Posts
Scuba Dan said:
I thought the point of a reef tank was to simulate the natural ocean floor.
That is exactly where we differ, you hit it on the head. I think the point of a reef tank is to simulate a reef crest.

Different methods for different goals is all.

Whiskey

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I agree with You, It is up to You and what pleases You. But If You where to look at my BB I bet You would like it, It's really hard to tell it is a BB, The way I laid out the rock and all. Only about 3 inches of BB is showing and it is all purple and I place clams,corals and shroom along it. Even my wife likes it and she likes sandbeds

1 - 18 of 18 Posts