The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are 11 switches and 14 sockets, the three without switches are on timers which have their own on/off switch, all run through 6 fuses varying from 8 to 20 amp. The entire unit is designed to run off its own 30 amp dedicated breaker in the house electrical panel. This unit requires gfci service.

The ability to turn EVERY piece of equipment on and off with its own switch makes it the sweetest piece of equipment I own. You can turn off the power supply to the socket before ever putting your wet hand near it.

Every component in this power supply is of top quality. The timers can be set on off with 15 minute intervals as well as on/off whenever you want.

My father who is an electrician designed and built this. I am selling it becasue i copycatted his design and am building two more for my new tank builds. The only difference is that i am adding indicator lights for each of the switches. In actuality i wont be ready to part with this unit for 1-2 weeks from now. It was built two months ago. I am listing it now just to see how much interest there is in a high dollar power supply such as this.

The unit is $450. If it doesnt sell here i will list it on ebay with the bidding starting at that. Feel free to ask questions but please dont offer me less as I will not sell it for any less than that.
For what its worth, if you think that price is ridiculous, at wholesale prices the parts alone for this unit are near $300.

Attachments

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bwanders said:
Would you be willing to offer a warranty?
Most definitely. I think we can offer a great warranty but before i stick my foot in my mouth I better consult with the guy who designed this thing. :)
Ill be seeing my old man tomorrow. Well talk about it and Ill post what we come up with.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Looks like a quality unit to me. Start pounding them out for sale...you might be surprised how many you sell.

J

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bwanders said:
Would you be willing to offer a warranty?
Sorry it took me 3 weeks to get back on this. Ive been really busy and havent had my computer on. I finally responded to a couple pms ive had on this and other things.
Here are a couple more pics and as for the warranty well give it a year which is the higher end of what similar electrical products offer but once you see how this thing is wired there really isnt anything that can go wrong with it barring salt mist(i.e. corrosion) and turning the time clocks backwards. Both of these things would obviously not fall under the "defects to materials and workmanship" category.
I did blow a 8 amp fuse when messing with my removable VHO's(while powered). It gave me a slight bump and then did its job. Every socket on this thing will do the same thing if you were to do something silly, like NOT shut off the switch to the outlet you happened to be working on. They just blow and you need to replace the fuse. I definitely do NOT advocate not using a GFCI with this thing as it IS necessary, but I myself do not use one. I personally do NOT trust them for the life support of my tanks. Without going to the extra effort of something like this though not using gfci service could be dangerous.

Attachments

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Loverotties said:
I wouldn't call it a power "SUPPLY".
What would you call it then??

It supplies power to everything. More definitively put you could call it a reef tank timer and switch box I suppose.

I guess if you want to get to the core of it though you could argue that the "power supply" is the people you write the check to every month.:funny:

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kevin1000 said:
I am unsure what your trying to really sell? Does this also function as a backup powersupply ?
No.. Simply put it is a electrical box designed to be run off its own 30 amp dedicated breaker in the house electrical panel. It then supplies power to everything your reef uses through fuses via timers and/or switches to each device.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Thanks for the response.

Maybe I am missing something here. Seems to me that would require a significant upgrade to most houses ... 30 amp breaker/w GFI .. and fishing some pretty heavy gauge wire through the house to the aquarium. Once at the aquarium I get your box which then allows me to have 16 additional outlets. Not sure I can envision a legit need for that many outlets and I suspect in many cases a couple of inexpensive power strips combined with a amp/gfi upgrade would satisfy. As indicated maybe I am missing something.

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kevin1000 said:
Thanks for the response.

Maybe I am missing something here. Seems to me that would require a significant upgrade to most houses ... 30 amp breaker/w GFI .. and fishing some pretty heavy gauge wire through the house to the aquarium. Once at the aquarium I get your box which then allows me to have 16 additional outlets. Not sure I can envision a legit need for that many outlets and I suspect in many cases a couple of inexpensive power strips combined with a amp/gfi upgrade would satisfy. As indicated maybe I am missing something.
I dont think you are missing anything except I will tell you when mny father was building it for me i didnt myself realize just how cool this thing was going to be until i had it.

If you saw/used this box in person you would see that it is far superior than any $100 rig up of cheap timers and power strips, and by far safer. Is it worth that much more??? To some people it is to some people that kind of a price tag is a joke. AND as you say you still DO need to fish heavy wire from your electrical panel(i used ten gauge, and all the wires inside this box are 12) and add a breaker. This definitely isnt a electrical box for someone who wants to do things as economically as possible but it is the safest and most convenient set up i have ever seen.
There are 14 sockets on it and i currently use 12 full time. Its nice to have the extra socket or two handy though as i have used them as well for this or that.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,660 Posts
It doesn't have a tranformer to supply voltage it distributes like a power strip.But don't get me wrong,it's nice if you got the money to burn.It does the same as my set up for $380 more then mine.But If I had the money I'd think about it and add a GFCI,Gasket on the door and a ground probe for the tank.

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Loverotties said:
It doesn't have a tranformer to supply voltage it distributes like a power strip.But don't get me wrong,it's nice if you got the money to burn.It does the same as my set up for $380 more then mine.But If I had the money I'd think about it and add a GFCI,Gasket on the door and a ground probe for the tank.

Im not sure what it is you plan on transforming??? Each circuit is fused for the specific load demands and set up for a main breaker in the house panel to supply it all. It DOES have a door gasket and it has the ability to turn off each individual socket and timer overrides with the flick of easily accessible switches.

I must say i am curious to see your set up that accomplishes everything that this does for only $70. That would ALMOST cover the cost of the timers in this thing. Dont get me wrong, i dont deny that inferior components could be used that WOULD accomplish everything that this does and be much more economical....but again, for $70 id like to see it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts