The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're now on our 3rd diamond goby. The first one was a very happy healthy little guy that was used to us and would spend a lot of time outside of his rock, happily sifting sand all over town. He was used to my daughter running up to the tank to greet him when he came out and even knew when strangers came over, because he wouldn't come out for anyone but us. I was ready to flat out give my tank away to the first person who showed up with a pickup truck the night we came home and found him encrusted to the floor.

Once we'd gotten over that trauma, we tried another. I never could get him to eat well. With our first one, he kept the sand nice and clean, this one wouldn't even do that. He would hide all the time. We had him for about 3 or 4 weeks before we noticed he was starting to fall apart. That was probably 3 months ago or more that we lost him.

So last night, we introduced another. My daughter named him "Baby Goby". He was definitely a spunky little dude still in the bag. jumping and flipping out all over the place. After putting him in, he went straight to work checking out the lay of the land, locating a spot to call home, checking out the other wildlife. He came out and watched us a little last night. All of this made my wife very happy since our first one was her favorite.

I went to bed last night, and I had been there for about 3 or 4 minutes and was about to fall asleep when I heard a sound. One of those little sounds that you don't know if you heard or not because you were just barely awake still. I laid there and debated first if I'd heard the sound. Second if the sound was really what I thought it could have been, and third if I wanted to go inspect. I decided, yeah, go look, better safe than sorry. I went downstairs, turned on the light, looked around. Everything was in it's place. The sound I heard sounded like eggcrate being knocked off the tank, but it was still there. I looked around, didn't see Baby Goby, but didn't really expect to since I'd just turned on the light and walked up to the tank. Started to turn to leave, and there the little bugger was, laying on the floor right next to the stand, all blended in with the carpet. He couldn't have been laying there more than about 3 or 4 minutes, so I scooped him up and tossed him back in. He floated there and looked at me for a minute with kind of a dumb look. I really didn't see any look of new wisdom in his eyes. So, I took off the egg crate and closed the lid on the tank. As long as the lights are off, it shouldn't get too terribly warm in there, and today, I'll have to figure out some way to keep him in the tank. I may have to tie him to the bottom! I've checked all the regular online fish supply places, and none of them sell collars and leashes this small.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Good luck to you. It's like trying to keep a 17 YO home at night.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I feel your pain with gobies. The first one I got was in my tank for 4 months until decided to jump. That little guy was great and was a blast to watch. The next one I purchased died 3 days after I got him. They are cool little fish and it sucks when you loose them.

I am glad that you were able to save the one that you have. Good Luck with this one.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, we really like them. and I'm determined to keep this one wet. I think I'm going to get some screen material that I can tack to the egg crate and then find a way to weigh it down so he can't knock it around like he did last night.

I still have the glass top on my tank, but I kee the access flap up all the time with the egg crate covering the opening, so I'm not concerned about it causing a loss of light.

One of these days, I'll get around to figuring out how to mount a fan and my MH to the top of my canopy and get it put on there so that I don't have to worry about him jumping anymore... Maybe then I can even train him to jump like the dolphins do at sea world.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
to keep the egg crate attached i recomment the following...

1.) drill 2 holes per panel of eggcrate in the back frame and 1 hole in the front.
2.) use a zip tie through the drilled hole to secure the back of the egg crate like a hinge (it's plastic so you don't need to worry about rust).
3.) using a wood screw and a washer big enough that it won't slip through the holes on the egg crate, insert the wood screw into the drilled hole in the fron to secure the front.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had a diamond goby that jumped out the first night I had him. I was new to the hobby and didn't know that they were such jumpers. My wife found the poor little guy sticking out of our dogs mouth. Live and learn I guess. Good Luck with yours.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I know how you feel.... I had a Yellowhead (Pearly) Jawfish, thatfor three months never showed the slightest inclination to jump, or even go to the other side of the tank. One morning i found him dried out on the carpet by the opposite side of the tank. Plus, I have a snowflake eel who is an escape artist and in the two months I've had him has escaped twice.... (This is with the top being covered with eggcrate, a power compact light, a piece of plastic from the old hood, and duct tape around the skimmer and overflow attachments)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Twitterbait said:
Maybe it would be better to just put a piece of carpet in the tank to make them happy...
:rotflmao:

Who needs bare bottom when you got wall to wall shag?

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your luck with the Gobies. I hope you manage to find some way to safely keep him in the tank. Gobies can have such excellent personalities! :)

As for carpet in the tank..hmm.. I kind of liked the idea of just putting saltwater all over the floor. :) I am sure a ceiling fan can easily house a 175W MH. LOL

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
sweet... then the fan can cool the MH bulb and blow on the surface of the water. Awsome idea. I'm gonna have to get some plastic sheeting and get started on my livingroom right away :doh:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heck, the way things are going with my pool right now, I'm about ready to make it a **** big reef!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts