The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so...my sump has been operating for about a week now. We built it ourselves using normal aquarium sealant from our las. noticed today that the seams are turning pink! The water isn't discolored and it isnt an illusion caused by the light. Right now it's just a pale pink and feels kinda slimy to the touch...what happened?? :confused:

·
Registered
439 Posts
I think it might be from the food. If you are using flakes. Many color enhancing foods have ingredients that may have an ability to stain things. A diluted solution in the water may also stain the silicon over time. I would recommend changing food for awhile and see if the coloration goes away or at doesn't become worse.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it does rub off, and the food that we are currently using is red...so thats probable. is it bad for the aquarium?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is not bad for the tank, but my understanding is that phosphates are used as a preservant and therefore they tend to be high in phosphates. What kind of fish do you keep? Maybe try some frozen food for awhile.
Okay. I will scrub it off today and see if it comes back. My tank is a matter of weeks old, so I only have three chromis and some hermit crabs

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Probably too soon for the chromis to be in there. The tank is most likely still cycling.
So far, there has hardly been any increase in ammonia/nitrate levels. We started out our tank with very well-cared for live rock and premixed rodi water. Several store owners recommended that I do "fish-in cycling" so that is what we ended up doing...so far the chromis seem healthy and there havent been any drastic rises in our levels

·
Administrator
18,746 Posts
It is an up hill battle to get people to stop cycling with fish and it makes it worse when shop owners recommend it. People trust them because they own a shop, but it seems some of them aren't keeping up with current husbandry practices and are still recommending very old practices that the hobby has moved away from. Fish in cycling is one such practice that is now really frowned upon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts