Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Equipment required to maintain a 3200 liters system without any waterchanges:
No high-end skimmer.
No pellets
No reactors
no activated carbon
No refugium

A nearly empty sump!!!
It doesn't get simpler than this water purification.

·
Registered
To many tanks to describe
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
The panoramareef, nearly 6 months after it was build. Now the colors are taking off!
Somehow it took the system 6 months to get the most out of it's potential. This is a turning point!

NOT A SINGLE WATERCHANGE WAS DONE SINCE THE START! Somehow novice reefers still get the advice from "experts" to do regular waterchanges. Nowadays there are modern and less wastefull ways to be succesfull with a reeftank. I guess it's all about confidence and following a certain set of rules.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Really nice looking. In the USA I don’t think you find many doing the no water change system.
NO, i don't believe many does out there, because they don't believe it to work properly.
The mayority of dutch reefers however abandoned regular WC. Only the newstarters are "prepared" by LFS's to do regular WC.
Once the get passed that the read and learn ....

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Water testing expensive?
I think this is the least of your worries.
Home tests are just fine, as long as you select the proper ones.
I made a list of available and affordable testing kits.
I never do ICP test, because i don't really think i need them, i have been doing this a decade now. So it pretty much proved itselves already.

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
Didn’t know if you used home tests or sent out for them.
I can see with home testing it would be much cheaper than sending out.
I have thought about the method but thought it required expensive testing. Will have to look into it further.

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Just cant argue with Glenn's success.....

I know Glenn has tried several times over the years to 'spark an interest' in His method, and my hat's off to you Glenn for your incredible patients. I know I've tried in vein a few times to get my head around it...the testing.....the dosing.....but the old 'OLD WAY OF DOING THINGS', and then the distractions some have put on Glenn's threads proved to be too much for my aged attention span.
I can't give an honest answer as to why i don't just hunker down and TRY IT....I do seem to recall some of the 'chemistry/ or ingredients' weren't readly available over here for one thing.....and at my age, please don't trust my recollections. :unsure: ;)

But I am sure glad Glenn that you keep gracing us with your pictures/videos.....and success stories. You are inspirational. 'Leading a horse to water, but just can't make him drink.'.
Hack

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Didn’t know if you used home tests or sent out for them.
I can see with home testing it would be much cheaper than sending out.
I have thought about the method but thought it required expensive testing. Will have to look into it further.
The reason i am still in the hobby and love it, is that i try to reduce cost and be self sufficient.
ICP is about given away all of that...so i am not a fan. They are just tools to be used when you're totaly lost after checking all the basics. I never lost sight of my baseline.
DSR i my way of telling/teaching people they can also be succesfull and self sufficient.
Over the years people always assume the worst, so unless they ask i don't push my way.
What i gathered on knowhow i shared on my website https://dsrreefing.com
Especially the FAQ would be helpfull.
Nowadays new generation reefers are mostly active on FB, because they want a quickfix and FB made it very convenient to get it.
Still i keep my threads on forums as much updated when possible.
Just to keep in touch with the oldskool reefers.
To learn en develop for the future you need to look at the past also.

101 - 120 of 125 Posts