The Reef Tank banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
To many tanks to describe
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
With this huge condo you're building Glenn, is it to re-home all your other reefs into just this one HUGE ONE? 🤔 Or are you opening a 'community aquarium'?😁
Hack
The mayority of small tanks will be discontinued
I will redistribute the corals from all the small (frag) tanks to the panoramareef.
It will save me lots of time with maintenance. .

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Sunday, September 26, 2021- first 12cm leak test passed. I will gradually fill the tank segments evenly to allow the polystyrene to settle.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
I suppose you started making RO/DI water 6 months ago to be ready for when you fill it for real.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I suppose you started making RO/DI water 6 months ago to be ready for when you fill it for real.
Nope.
I will be using tapwater to start the tank.
I have done so with all my tanks. I can do so because in the netherlands (rotterdam) the quality is fine and there is no chlorine used in the tapwater.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Saturday, 2 October 2021 #Panoramareef- saltwater mixing.
To do this, first turn on some flow pumps to speed up the mixing.
Step1 calculate water volume
Step2 calculate salts using the CRS calculator
Step3 weigh out NaCl+, MgSO4+, Mg+, Ca+ and add them to the aquarium in separate piles.
MgSO4+ and Ca+ must not come into contact with each other.
Step4 Weigh out KH+ and dissolve it in water ~50gr/L while stirring. When everything is dissolved, pour the liquid into the aquarium.
Step5 Allow the salt heaps to dissolve thoroughly for a few hours.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Sunday, oktober 3, 2012, #panoramareef - sandbed, seeding and feeding.
100 kilo coralsand 1-2 mm was placed into segement 2/3. 40 liter sludge from the EZ550reef was placed into segment1.
After that we daily dose 23ml easy carbon.
The water is clouded from the sand.
We wait 3 days before using a powerfilter to clear the water.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Monday, oktober 4, 2021 - #panoramereef finishing the stand.

Sanded the planks and fitted the intermediate uprights of the frame. Now that these are in place, the purlin laths have been removed. Those legs are not going anywhere anymore.

Even mixing your own salt, I have never attempted it in 49 year of keeping saltwater tanks.
There is always a first time to do things, that's how we learn.
The hobby is evolving continuously.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Tuesday, oktober 5, 2021 #panoramareef - mainflow direction.
Today i am doing the plumbing and determing the mainflow direction. I choose to do the plumbing above the tank because it's saver, easier and less powerconsuming, because there are less corners used and less pipe length required.
For the ecstatics the pipe can be hidden behind a panel later on.
Today (earlier as planned) i put in another bucket of slugde and started two powerfilter to filter out the calciumcarbonate percipitate.
Later on i placed three bucket of deadrock into the tank.

Placing of the sand did not have much effect on the Alk and Calcium 7,6dkh /430ppm
Nitrate an phosphat are just fine 5ppm / 0,03ppm

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Wednesday, oktober 5, 2021 #panoramareef - deadrock and powerfilter.
I placed an additional 75 kilo coralsand and 120 kilo deadrock that i had lying around in the garden.
The watervolume up till now taken in by sand and rock is about 200 liters
The water is clearing up slightly due to the powerfilter (next time beter rinse the sand)
On the other hand.... now is can't be tempted to rush things and get into trouble. I have to sit this one out until the water has been cleared.

·
Administrator
16,827 Posts
It is INDEED great seeing you updating/posting daily......been too long waiting to see all the cool stuff you play with.
Hack

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Vrijdag, 8 oktober 2021 #panoramareef - De verhuizing naar sectie1
20:00 Leon Koopmans en Stefan Vonk kwamen langs en op een gegeven moment zei ik dat ik de bewoner van alle kleine bakken dit weekend ging verhuizen naar sectie1.
Ze boden aan om het nu te doen, dus dat deden we.....
Als een goed geoliede machine verplaatsen we 2 aquarium en ruimden daarna op.
Geweldig gedaan heren, bedankt

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Tuesday, oktober 12, 2021 #panoramareef - Happy with progres up till now. 5x GHL mitrax LX7205 used on 40% max producing 240PAR on the bottom @40cm waterhight. Slight silcate-algae showing up, which is normal in this stage.
In the weekend we did some small chores like mounting doors and lamp to segment1. Primary waiting for the weather to clearup so i can sand the raw planks outside.
Beside finishing the doors, the next mayor step is moving the water and lifestock from #DSR1200reef to segment2

Dinsdag, 12 oktober 2021 #panoramareef - tevreden met de progessie tot nu toe. 5x GHL mitrax LX7205 gebruikt op 40% max. produceert 240PAR op de bodem @40cm waterhoogte. Lichte silcaatalg op de bodem, wat normaal is in dit stadium.
In het weekend hebben we wat kleine klusjes gedaan zoals deuren en lamp monteren aan segment1. Voornamelijk wachten tot het weer opklaart zodat ik de ruwe planken buiten kan schuren.
Naast het afwerken van de deuren, is de volgende grote stap het verplaatsen van het water en het vee van de #DSR1200reef naar segment2

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Tuesday, oktober 12, 2021 - #panoramareef - making of the doors.
Finally it stopped raining and i work on the door. Sanding the planks, putting the door together and mounting them in front of the stand. My sanding belt was worn out so i stopped. Need to get new an spares to continue. Still three doors to go......

41 - 60 of 74 Posts