The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am venturing into the reef world however I am a little confused on items I have been seeing. I see some Power compact kits ranging from $159-500. I also see information on retro fit kits and I am wondering which the best advice is. I have a 72 gal tank in which I would to build my reef world. Please help ....Thanks!:eek:

·
Registered
808 Posts
check on the thread by sjbrooks for lights from his 74 gal. or go to petsupplyliquidator.com and look around. what kind of lights depends on what you want to keep. and what your budget will allow.

any question in particular?

BRandon & Kelly

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I like vho myself...2 will fit under the 74 gallon bow nicely...

But if you keep Sps or clams you will need halides.....

Hope that helps....

·
Registered
77 Posts
im thinking about lighting too. i wanna know how much of an increase peoples power bills were who use mh vs power compact or vho.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
The questions comes down to more of an increase on your AC bill in an attempty to maintain a decent temp after adding the MH.

·
Registered
807 Posts
If you have to ask about electricity you probably don't need halides. Do what you want and hope you can afford it later.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I hate chiming in like this, but it might be appropiate. I do have a dual 400 setup for sale. I haven't even plugged it in. I would be willing to help you wire it up, I want to see these babies burn, even if they're not over my tank.

it's an aquatico hood btw. Very nice, I love the construction, looks like it will perform well over salt water and ultra smooth to the touch. dimensions are 48x12x6. room for pcs or vhos as well

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interested

When I first started saltwater I fell in all the traps that newbies fall into. I spent way more than planned. If you can give a decent quote i will be sure to look at it. Iv'e seen some of the prices for ligthing and realize IT AIN'T CHEAP!:funny:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts