The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
My new Octopus NW 150 should be waiting for me at home tonight when I arrive and I'd like to do the gate valve and mesh mods before its virgin run. Does anyone happen to have some extra Enkamat PF4 lying around that they would be willing to donate/sell me? Also, I've found the gate valve mod kit on Marinesolutions but it really doesn't look like $38 worth of fittings, has anyone done this mod with store bought fittings (menards/HD)? If so, do you have a list of fittings and sizes I will need to complete this mod?

It's been over a month since I started my sump project, mostly because I had buy one piece at a time, but the end is finally in sight! Here is what my new setup will entail:

Currently running a 30 gallon with HOB skimmer -

Adding a 20 gallon high sump, Eshopps overflow, Octopus NW 150 skimmer and a Mag 7 return pump with a ball valve for more control.

Ok, here's another dumb question, does the drain line from the tank just lay in the sump or does it connect to the skimmer directly? Also, the bulkhead on the overflow box is threaded - is there some sort of drain hose available that would just screw onto that threaded part? I checked Menards but the best I could find was some 1.25" clear hose which will not fit over the bulkhead. I know there's probably a simple solution for this but I'm not seeing it.

In my sump tank there is more than enough room for the skimmer, should I add some sort of area to add a filter sock to the drain hose for added filtration? Can I add carbon filtration to the sump somehow?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get the most out of this setup.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
for the gate valve, the valve alone is almost $25 anywhere online, and you are likely not to find it locally... it's not worth the $38 dollars or so they are asking for it, especially if you find a steel on one as i did with mine. My recommendation is to check eBay for the gate valve (i got mine for $17 shipped :) ) you will need to measure the oulet tube on yours when yopu open it, but mine was 1.5"~ and if you look in the DIY section or do a search for Gate valve mod, you will find info on how it is done...

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
What size gate valve does it call for? I know the Ace Hardware here has 1/2" and 3/4" in stock and was willing to order them for me up to 2". The 3/4" gate valve I bought was about 6 dollars.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Onedummhikk, as expected the skimmer was waiting for me at home. Man this thing is big! At least compared to my HOB and the other little skimmer I was using. I'll measure the riser tube and see if I can find a gate valve at the local HW store to fit. I just can't justify paying $38 for less than $12 worth of pvc fittings. I guess I know where I'm going on my lunch today! =)

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts
Thanks Onedummhikk, as expected the skimmer was waiting for me at home. Man this thing is big! At least compared to my HOB and the other little skimmer I was using. I'll measure the riser tube and see if I can find a gate valve at the local HW store to fit. I just can't justify paying $38 for less than $12 worth of pvc fittings. I guess I know where I'm going on my lunch today! =)
www.savko.com :thumbup: I payed right around $20 shipped for a 1 1/2 inch gate valve. Check them out!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE:

I ran over to Ace Hardware a few minutes ago and was able to pick up the necessary connections-
1.5" gate valve
1.5" male threaded coupler x 2
1.5" T
1.5" coupler
elbow
2' of 1.5" pvc
-----------------
total= $22.21

Marinesolutions price after shipping = $49.

Fly Guy was kind enough to sell me som PF4 also so I'm on my way to a modded Reef Octopus NW 150!!! I can't wait to get this thing hooked up!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Has anyone made any special "holders" to hold the drain hose into the sump? I'd rather not just lay the hose in the sump if there's a better way to do it. When using a standard flex hose is it ok to just push the hose end into the bottom of the bulkhead? Will it stay securely in there? Also, what is the protocol for using carbon in the sump? Just put some rinsed carbon into a media bag and toss it in there?

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
I would add a hose clamp to the bulk head fitting, just in case. It is outside the sump so you don't have to worry about rust as much. Congrats on the fittings and glad my trip to Ace helped someone else out :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the only problem is that the flex hose fits inside the bulkhead, not around it. I would have thought with the threaded bulkhead someone would make a drain hose with a threaded connection that would screw right onto it...apparently I'm the first one to think of that because I haven't found one yet.

·
11,345 Posts
the only problem is that the flex hose fits inside the bulkhead, not around it. I would have thought with the threaded bulkhead someone would make a drain hose with a threaded connection that would screw right onto it...apparently I'm the first one to think of that because I haven't found one yet.
use a appropriate sized male pipe adapter to screw into the bulkhead. then glue flex PVC or pvc into it. use silicone, not plumbers tape to seal the threads. this way it will always seal and you wont have to thread the tapered fitting in very far potentially stressing the bulkhead

you dont use hose clamps on bulkheads. ever. unless you are using a MPT/ nipple threaded into the bulkhead made for the pipe/hose to go around. and then it of course isnt the bulkhead with the hose clamp around it. its the attached nipple

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't understand, if someone has done this can you please post a pic for me to use as a guide? I still cannot believe that not one company has thought of this yet, is there a reason that a threaded flex hose assembly would be a bad idea? (integrity of the bulkhead itself, leakge, etc..)? The LFS insisted that just pushing the flex hose end into the bulkhead would be sufficient and not leak...however the kid barely looked old enough to drive and I don't trust his opinion.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
It isn't so much a "bad idea" as it is demand for the product. If you don't see demand (a high demand) then you won't see the product.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
The LFS insisted that just pushing the flex hose end into the bulkhead would be sufficient and not leak...however the kid barely looked old enough to drive and I don't trust his opinion.
An important lesson in reef keeping. Never forget it!:funny:(Specifically the part about not trusting the LFS)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts