The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure some of you have seen this, and since I'm somewhat new I'm sure there are more expensive things out there, but serious?????

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=57793

$6,000.00 for 2 clownfish???
Can you even imagine pressing the "add to cart" button on them?!

I can imagine throwing down the $800 for the dragon eel. Impressing your friends with threats of it biting your face off and what not, but I can't see myself saying "oh yeah, see those two black clownfish, yup..cost me 6 grand"

· Registered
189 Posts
LOL....yea I'd pay to see my buddies face get bit off too...

But WOWOWOWOW! $6K?? I could think of a lot of other cool ***** I could get for that much money...not to mention what happens when they die just after the warranty period expires?

· Carpe Noctem
17,077 Posts
Try getting a mated pair of Gem tangs so that you can feed their eggs to the powder red tang;) Now that's expensive!

· Premium Member
7,439 Posts
I honestly thought these clowns would have sold by now. Even if you drastically dropped the price, you should easily be able to make your money back on the first clutch.
I sure hope a breeder gets them so that a breeding stock can be established here in the states. It's not like they will be collecting these fish from their protected habitat any time soon.

· Premium Member
7,439 Posts
Try getting a mated pair of Gem tangs so that you can feed their eggs to the powder red tang;) Now that's expensive!
Powder red tang:lol: Now that would be expensive.

Good point though. Look at the price of one Gem tang and you can't even breed it. That makes 6 grand for a pair of McCulloch's seem like a bargain.

· Registered
969 Posts
I'm sure some of you have seen this, and since I'm somewhat new I'm sure there are more expensive things out there, but serious?????

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=57793

$6,000.00 for 2 clownfish???
Can you even imagine pressing the "add to cart" button on them?!

I can imagine throwing down the $800 for the dragon eel. Impressing your friends with threats of it biting your face off and what not, but I can't see myself saying "oh yeah, see those two black clownfish, yup..cost me 6 grand"
All I can say is, for that kind of money those clown fish better do things I've only seen in my dreams.

· Forever Reef
2,326 Posts
i seen someone pay like 1,500.00 for a 1/2 inch button coral this week.

i also seen one fish sell for 16 grand :) it was sometype of butterfly looked like it had armor scales.

· Just send me a PM ;)
16,985 Posts
The reason they are so expensive is because the guy is trying to ~"milk what he can so that he can recover the expense of what it took to get a first viable egg clutch"

These are 3 YO pair... think how many clutch's have happened since then and how many are in Europe and Asia (the market they hit first because he didn't want the US market to get them and somewhere like ORA to start tank breeding them and make a ton of profit off of his fortune...

I wouldn't pay that price because once someone like ORA get's them, they won't be rare for long.

· Registered
1,344 Posts
The reason they are so expensive is because the guy is trying to ~"milk what he can so that he can recover the expense of what it took to get a first viable egg clutch"

These are 3 YO pair... think how many clutch's have happened since then and how many are in Europe and Asia (the market they hit first because he didn't want the US market to get them and somewhere like ORA to start tank breeding them and make a ton of profit off of his fortune...

I wouldn't pay that price because once someone like ORA get's them, they won't be rare for long.
I'm going to respectfully disagree with the view the guy is milking it. He had to lobby the Australian government for the first ever permit to collect the only 10 of these that likely will ever be collected. He spent a year of his life preparing for and making sure he could properly care for and breed the only specimens of this species in captivity in the entire world. So given that, 6k is a very fair price for the second pair of these (the first 6k pair already sold off DD). His full story can be found here: http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=24628#24628

Also, not that I'm buying, but 6k is cheap compared to some rare angels -- try $30,000 for this pair of Genicanthus Personatus :)

http://glassbox-design.com/2009/30k-genicanthus-personatus-pair-in-japan/

· Premium Member
19,379 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.