The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Fang Blenny
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<b>I have a puzzling question (for me at least), but first a story :p</b>

A couple years ago, we added a Wheeler's Watchman goby to our tank. He had survived shipping from LA and no acclimation at all (just starting out!), as well as a velvet outbreak, which taught me the valuable lesson to quarantine EVERYTHING. He also survived the loss of two pistol partners and a 500 mile move. Since the move (Sept. 2013), he was doing fine and appearing for his nightly watch beneath a huge liverock... Up until we added some larger fish to the tank... Then he disappeared, never to be seen again!

Until today... He came out to eat and quickly retreated to his cave. We haven't seen this fish for over 6 months! We thought after everything, he'd died. He's been living INSIDE the rock. Now, we recently added a whale of a pink-spot goby, and are in the process of moving everything to a 180g. I would like to move this guy to my tank and give him another shrimp buddy. Considering he thinks he's a bristle worm, I don't think that's gonna happen...

We were initially gonna move this 50 lb chunk of liverock to seed our 120 lb of new "live" sand and (not-quite-yet) recured rock. But the goby is in there!

<b>So, my question to you, my fellow reefers, is there any way I could possibly capture the great ghost goby? :worm: </b>

Attachments

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,728 Posts
Good morning. Can't be of any help, but paying attention, that will be some useful information as I go about relocating my fish to their new home soon. Best of luck,
Dave

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I've had the same issue with disappearing gobies. 3 to 6 months at a time. Best of luck catching him. If you think he is in the rock, just move it and one day he will appear.

·
The Fang Blenny
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good morning. Can't be of any help, but paying attention, that will be some useful information as I go about relocating my fish to their new home soon. Best of luck,
Dave
Morning, Dave! :) I have broken down several different tanks ranging in size from 10g-180g, and have only ever had a problem moving a lawnmower blenny. He refused to come out of a base rock (similar to this situation) because we were breaking down his tank. But the rock he was in went into my 30, so no problem! But this rock is supposedly going into our 180, which is the tank I DON'T want him in...

I'm thinking the addition of all of our bigger livestock has turned him into a recluse... I just don't know how to get him out /:

As far as relocatin fish, "Patience, Iago, patience." ;)

·
The Fang Blenny
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had the same issue with disappearing gobies. 3 to 6 months at a time. Best of luck catching him. If you think he is in the rock, just move it and one day he will appear.
Thanks! They're definitely good at hiding!

I think all of our new livestock caused him to constantly hide! He was out before we added larger fish... I know he's in this rock, I just don't want him in the tank the rock is going in! :p our pink-spot might slurp him up! Actually, I think he'd be much happier in a mellow-er setting...

·
The Fang Blenny
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bump? Anybody have an experience trying to capture a no show fish? I've seen the bottle trap, but I'm not sure if it'd work...

·
The Fang Blenny
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How holey is the rock? Could you just baster some water through it and scare him him out?
That's a good idea. I'm thinking of moving the rock into my 10g QT (if it'd fit!), or a Rubbermaid tub, so he has nowhere to go. I'm not totally sure if there are tunnels in the rock, but considering he's gotten around inside it for more than 6 months, it's probably safe to assume so.

Sorry for the crappy picture, I'm on a tablet ATM... This is the rock (on the bottom). It's about 12-16" LxWxH. He lives in a hole on the right underside that's about a 1/2", the rest of the craters are close to or smaller in size...

Attachments

·
The Fang Blenny
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd maybe put the rock in a large container underwater and raise it up from the bottom so if he swims out, he'll be less likely to get back into the rock.
I think this would work and we might try it in conjunction with a bottle trap... He's definitely coming out for food now but only for split seconds.

Maybe in a container with no other fish he'd be braver? I really wish his pistol shrimp hadn't died :(

·
The Fang Blenny
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well after placing a bottle trap overnight, and using a large syringe to pulse water through the tunnels of the rock (my pistol shrimp was very busy), I succeeded in flushing a peppermint shrimp that was living with the goby, but no goby :(

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hmm... You could leave him in there for a while, until he gets comfortable coming out for food. Then one day, drop some food I , and when he goes to get it, take the rock out.

·
The Fang Blenny
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm... You could leave him in there for a while, until he gets comfortable coming out for food. Then one day, drop some food I , and when he goes to get it, take the rock out.
Hoping this will work... Otherwise he's going in the 180, never to be seen again! I've been debating about using a barbless hook and going fishing...

·
The Fang Blenny
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So none of the traps I tried worked. I was ready to give up. In fact, my mom and I were moving him, rock and all, into the 180.

I poured the pellets out of the bottle trap into the container and lifted the rock up to my mom to put in her tank... All the while saying, "It'd be great if he jumped out of the rock while we move it..." I looked hopelessly in the bottom of the tub and noticed something pale in the corner...

After first thinking he was dead, then catching him in a colander, here he is... Scales and all...

:) thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! :wavey:

I read on LiveAquaria that they do much better in pairs. Would it be possible to add another (I know many gobies will kill other gobies unless they're already mated...)

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts