The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 55gal tank up and running for about 8 months now. Its my first salt tank and it's given me a lot of trouble but i'm starting to get the hang of it. Its tankmates consist of:
2 firefish gobies
2 ocellaris clowns
2 green chromis
1 yellow damsel
1 yellow eyed kole tang (the newest addition added only yesterday)
1 scooter blenny
as far as inverts i have:
1 choc. chip starfish
1 serpent star
1 horseshoe crab
1 coral banded shrimp.

and about 60lbs of liverock

Now that that is out of the way, i just realized this evening that i hadn't seen my Scooter Blenny in a while. Bothered as he was quite a character, i moved around some of the liverock but could not find him. He's usually not shy at all so this is odd. He's been living contently with all of the tankmates accept the Tang for several months. I make a concious effort to keep the serpent star well fed but.. do you think its possible the serpent star or someother critter made a snack of my little blenny? The blenny was about 3 inchs in length and was active and healthy last i saw. Any ideas?
And also, if you have any other suggestions for the tank i would LOVE to hear.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm really hoping he's just hiding!
I highly doubt the starving theory though. He was alway a great eater, jumping up to catch live brine and having no problems picking up the other frozen foods or pellets. Like i said, last i saw him he appeared healthy - and full!

I'm worried the star may be the culprit, but i'm hoping he's just missing, maybe a bit nervous of the new, larger resident

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
+1 at that. Mine died from starvation although he looked like he was eating everything I fed him. just because they peck at it dont mean they are eating it. How old is your tank?

Secondly he could have buried himself in the sand with the new addition. Not sure on the tank if its being dominant or not.

·
Wild Man
481 Posts
It kinda sounds like you have a whole lot of fish for that size tank doesn't it? I guess a couple of the fish are pretty small but 9 fish in a 55 seems like a pretty high number to me.

If you are having problems with nitrates, ammonia, etc this could be a reason.

Hopefully your blenny turns up.

·
life is BeAuTiFuL! <3
445 Posts
It's also impossible to know how old the fish was - he might have just died from natural causes. As much as that sucks, it's very possible. And with your cleanup crew, you'll honestly probably not ever find a body of a fish that small.
However I did recover a bicolor blenny of mine years ago after he had been MIA for over a day. Did yours ever turn up?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 55gal tank up and running for about 8 months now. Its my first salt tank and it's given me a lot of trouble but i'm starting to get the hang of it. Its tankmates consist of:
2 firefish gobies
2 ocellaris clowns
2 green chromis
1 yellow damsel
1 yellow eyed kole tang (the newest addition added only yesterday)
1 scooter blenny
as far as inverts i have:
1 choc. chip starfish
1 serpent star
1 horseshoe crab
1 coral banded shrimp.

and about 60lbs of liverock

Now that that is out of the way, i just realized this evening that i hadn't seen my Scooter Blenny in a while. Bothered as he was quite a character, i moved around some of the liverock but could not find him. He's usually not shy at all so this is odd. He's been living contently with all of the tankmates accept the Tang for several months. I make a concious effort to keep the serpent star well fed but.. do you think its possible the serpent star or someother critter made a snack of my little blenny? The blenny was about 3 inchs in length and was active and healthy last i saw. Any ideas?
And also, if you have any other suggestions for the tank i would LOVE to hear.
Definitely just hiding!!...blennys tend to hide under the sand when the light turn off and only their eyes pop out the sand!!...this is something very normal for blennys they often do this when their tired or even when they feel scared or threatened!! Just look out for littles eyes piping out the sand!!! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts