The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!
I have a 150 and a few weeks ago I noticed my yellow polyps were disappearing. I thought they weren't getting enough light so I moved them up and they seemed happy for awhile. Next thing I know they are all gone. Ive watched the fish and none of them seem to be interested in the polyps and Ive even waited until the lights went out and observed the tank at different times during the night and I havent seen anything bothering them. I figured that maybe they just weren't happy for some reason then this morning I noticed my brown polyps had a straight row missing right down the center. The only thing I can think of is After a yr and a half I had a sudden bloom of those little white star fish. most of the time they hang out on the glass but sometimes I see them on the rocks. I thought they were a good thing? Would they eat polyps? ( I guess you can tell I just saw that movie Nancy Drew)
Thanks for any input
Patrick

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Hi Pat!

I would make sure that those star fish are not on the polyps. Sometimes those starfish are harmless but sometimes they eat corals. Keep watching at late night with a flash light and look for any kind of creature on the pplyps.

Also make sure there are no raised white bumps (very tiny) in the polyps.
Also keep an eye out for nudibranches which blend in with the field of polyps. They look like little bugs with tentacles all over that are usually the color of one of your polyps.

Heres a pic of one http://www.melevsreef.com/id/dc_nudibranch.html

Here is also a zooanthid disease . predator info page at the bottom
http://www.melevsreef.com/id/zoas.html
HTH

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks zxcv123 Ive been checking at night but I will continue I do have a hippo but he has never shown any intrest int them as far as the little stars when I do see them on the rocks they are never on corals just the rocks I will def look for the nudi

·
Registered
26 Posts
hi Patrick,

Do you have shrimps in your tank ?

I have a cleaner shrimp that settle next to my polyps, I guess her antenaes and continuous walking around cleared a field in the middle of the polyps...

The polyps were an hitchicker colony and I had too many anyway...

Regards

·
Registered
158 Posts
The only thing I can think of is After a yr and a half I had a sudden bloom of those little white star fish. most of the time they hang out on the glass but sometimes I see them on the rocks. I thought they were a good thing? Would they eat polyps?
the brown stars i havent seen as a problem. the grayish white stars, i have witnessed eating my green star polyps,(sitting over the top of the polyp so it looks like the polyp has a starfish hat) some zoas, a toadstool and yellow polyps. ive had people telling me how harmless they are but im witnessing them do this damage!(the grey/white ones not the brown ones) i bought a harlequin shrimp and the starfish population is now on a steady decline.
i would say the starfish are the culprit and look into getting a harlequin.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks faintreny zxcv123 and tyson
I have one cleaner sshrimp I never really see here just her old shells after she molts Ive been checking at night one time last week we got home at 1am and I got out my flash light and nothing.
I do have the white ones and Ive never seen them on top of any corals but on top of the rocks. For the most part they saty on the glass. If I get a harlequin wont he die after all the star fish are gone? Will he eat my blue linka?

·
Registered
158 Posts
he will DEFINITELY eat your blue linkia so dont do that!!!! the stars i have seen have been on top of the star polyps, but on the base("stem") of all of the others. if you could house the linkia in another tank temporarily, the harlequin goes to work right away and is surprisingly quick.
as far as dying when they are gone, i dont believe they will get everyone, so there is some food left in the tank. a friend of mine did this for the same reasons and hasnt had any visible stars in 3-4 months, he also hasnt fed the harlequin any other stars and it is still doing good. its possible he got the shrimp to eat flake or frozen but i havent seen it eat those. i plan on feeding mine a chocolate chip after my star population is decimated but i have a feeling that will take a while as my tank is covered in them, thousands of them, on the glass, on the rocks, on the corals, EVERYWHERE!!!!.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow tyson thousands! I only have at the most like 12 or so. I would have to pretty much get rid of my linka or get rid of the shrimp when its finished. I hate to get rid of the linka because its had 3 babies in the last year I now have 4. She drops a arm here and there and next thing you know another star fish.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
i would look for the zoo eating nudibrach. they can be VERY well hidden in the colony. also look for a white area between the polyps, those would be nudibranch eggs.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks reef keeper and DLO I will take a closer look for the nubi and her eggs. I dont have an urhin so I know I'm ok there

1 - 12 of 12 Posts