The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I should lay out what we got instead of just harassing people.

There's the 75 gallon, about 15g sump. Well, it's not really a sump I guess, just a fuge with a place to put the skimmer.

The 75 has about 100 lbs of LR (about...), corner drilled to the under stand fuge. The fuge is PACKED with LR and macros, which macro has gained dominance that week is arbitrary. Sometimes it's the chaeto, sometimes the HA growing on top.

Equipment is a 48" sunpod (I like them despite Lorraine's grief with them lately), currently has a pair of 10K 150 HQI watt bulbs in there. I ordered 20K to see the difference, I believe I do not care for the yellow/white. The 14Ks were good. Everything just looks brown.

Also a Aqua C Remora HOB skimmer which I know is not really sufficient for the tank but I've not gotten off my duff to get another... and am still waffling on whether to wait and go bigger on the tank, etc etc etc.....

The return pump is a middle of the road brand I THINK 1200 gph pump, that's about it as far as my technical expertise. More complications mean more thigns to go wrong in general in my life, so the tank stays fairly simple. I'm getting into lighting a bit now but still like my sunpod. I might wish I'd gotten the outer orbit with the extra actinics but the cheapy actinic fixture we have now is OK, does the job.

OK I'm tired from typing and will continue to outline the 55, the 24 and the 5g later. Tiem for some Oh Be Joyful as my grandfather used to call it, rest his Irish soul.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great! He's really turning into a great dog! No accidents... OK, well I forgot he was in the kitchen yesterday... but no accidents lately and he actually LISTENS!! Mostly to ME!!! (This is a first in my house and cause for great celebration.)

aaawww, what happened to his leg?

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Great! He's really turning into a great dog! No accidents... OK, well I forgot he was in the kitchen yesterday... but no accidents lately and he actually LISTENS!! Mostly to ME!!! (This is a first in my house and cause for great celebration.)

aaawww, what happened to his leg?

Yipppeeeeee!! It's nice when we can get someone to listen isn't it :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey Ms Poo Monitor :wavey: It seems like almost the whole gang's all here, doesn't it? So you glad you could join us.:banana:

You neglected to mention what LIVESTOCK you have in that there 75, plus, ummmmm PICTURES. PICTURES doodette!

So glad to hear the pup is doing so well... he's still very young! Remember to keep up due diligence during his teenage months and everything will be good to go once he passes through that stage. You'll want to pull your hair, or his, OUT, but magically he will remember his training. It's like a miracle! lol We could use some pictures of him, too. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
208 Posts
sounds good...I second the call for some pics !!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Barb!! He's going to the chopping block soon... everyone is telling me he HAS to or DOOM will entail... or at least puberty.

I'm not terribly sure. I might want to see some puppies eventually. :lovebirds::smileykiss2:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ALRIGHTY! Inhabitants; Flippy the &^%#@ 6-line wrasse, Storm (I just named him) the scopas tang, maroon clown with no name, and Flash the diadema pseudochromis.

Inverts: RBTA that I "saved", he was looking really bad in someone else's tank and I fed it and he eventually gave it to me; 2 cleaner shrimps and a CBS; queen conch, bunch of nassarius snails that I actually have not seen in quite a while; like 3 huge honkin' turbos that are the ones that aren't supposed to like warmer waters but are thriving. Also 2 sand sifter stars. They seem to be OK too, I don't think there's enough CUC to eat what they eat so they're getting enough.

Corals: less since the Great Rust Incident. See the light fixture on the fuge in the pic up there? NOT reef safe. It rusted adn dripped slowly into the fuge. We couldn't for the life of us figure out why the tank was going downhill. Lost all but 2 SPS and a bunch of trumpet coral. All the zoos survived, shrooms, nepthea, kenya tree, xenia, torch, the bubble coral took a hit but seems OK now although skeleton is showing in the middle, hairy shrooms, green polyp leather and a ric.

I THINK that's everything.

OH!!! I just added a brittle star (smallish) and a tuxedo urchin. The urchin is the coolest thing. He's already got a bunch of shells on him and was lickign the hard green algae on the glass. He's reddish and green striped. Gotta get a pic.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And on to the 55 gallon!

That was set up as a QT. Sort of. I ordered this hybrid scopas/yellow tang (OH he's SO COOL!!) and was at a loss with the small tanks I had for QTs. The poor (expensive) fish needed more room than I had had to date.

SOOOoooo... we got a 55 with T5 lighting. Set it up in the only available space... the kitchen. On my MIL's new counter tops. (We're renting the property from her.) Thin sand bed, not a lot of LR, a hefty canister filter.

Somehow ( :squint: ) it became a FO tank and Lil' Al (that's another story) is still in there with Bubbles (guess what kind he is), a chromis that's not technically ours, MiniMoe the BW saddle clown and an orange damsel that seems to be growing exponentially. There's a cleaner shrimp and a peppermint in there too. Most of them hide in the Buddah at night. You'll understand teh Buddah when I post pics. When I find them.

Equipment is again simple. Red Sea skimmer that I think does absolutely nothing, canister filter that rocks (but needs changed more often), teh T5s that total about 100 watts (actnic and regular), and a pair of koralia nano powerheads.

·
Registered
151 Posts
nice beginning KAthy! i couldt see the pics today, ill try to see them later... sorry about all the loss cause of rust! that stinks! wow!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Gosh, I feel like I know you all over again! :funny: Now the group is complete!:worm: I just like this smilie!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts