The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sir Master Deuter the 3rd
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a bit of an algea problem. Also seems to be just this layer of junk on my live rock... I know I need more snails, so i have about 20 turbo snails for my 65g. How many should I get? Also what are the best snails that'll really do a good cleaning job? I was thinking maybe a Queen Conch or Fighting Conch or any Conch for that matter. Also will this snail be good: Tonga Nassarius Snail? Or an Abalone? I need some advice on this please.

-Deuter:read:

·
Registered
257 Posts
The nassarius snail is a burrowing snail and probably won't do much for algae, they pretty much are good for consuming detritus, uneaten food, decaying organics, and fish waste. You can throw in some hermits if it's hair algae. Film algae can be reduced by turbos or margarita snails. I would also try to find out why you are having an algae problem, ie nitrates , phosphates... The queen conchs can grow up to 3 feet and the fighting conchs up to 10 unches. Probably not a good snail for a 65g. If you add more snails make sure you have enough food for them after they have cleaned up your algae, or you will find empty shells laying around and your nitrates could spike from decaying snails and then cause more phosphates creating more algae. Vicious cycle.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The nassarius snail is a burrowing snail and probably won't do much for algae, they pretty much are good for consuming detritus, uneaten food, decaying organics, and fish waste. You can throw in some hermits if it's hair algae. Film algae can be reduced by turbos or margarita snails. I would also try to find out why you are having an algae problem, ie nitrates , phosphates... The queen conchs can grow up to 3 feet and the fighting conchs up to 10 unches. Probably not a good snail for a 65g. If you add more snails make sure you have enough food for them after they have cleaned up your algae, or you will find empty shells laying around and your nitrates could spike from decaying snails and then cause more phosphates creating more algae. Vicious cycle.
I've found that nassarius snails like to eat dead and almost dead snails. Hermit's will eat them too.

How old is the tank? Your algae problems may just be part of the maturation process and adding more bioload might be counter productive. Problem with phos/nit/ammo is that the algae can absorb it faster then it can remain suspended in the water column. This can cause test readings to indicate all zero's when you still have a problem. I generally don't test for those much unless something just died in the tank or there's a sudden change in health of the tank (cyano blooms)

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you for your replies, however how many snails do you think is recommended for a 65 gallon tank?
thanks

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,657 Posts
thank you for your replies, however how many snails do you think is recommended for a 65 gallon tank?
thanks
I don't think there is a certian number,. depending on the available food it varies. I just keep adding them 10 at a time or so until it seems like I have enough. I have seen people with 100 in a 65 though, so your nowhere near any "limit".

I love Astrea snails, they are my favrite type,.. and I always make sure to keep plenty of Cerths around as well,.. they're neat becasue they always burry themselfs during the day.

However,.. if you have hermits, they love Certh shells, so that's maybe not the best idea.

Whiskey
Whiskey

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have about 10 in my 90g and they are doing freat! I have nearly no algea on rocks, just a film on the glass about everyother day that I have to wipe off.

Chris

·
Registered
498 Posts
I just googled that "trochus" snail and it looks like some of the "Cats eyes" astreas that I have in my 30g. That is what the LFS called them.

Chris

·
Registered
611 Posts
I"m with wiskey on this one. I add snails about 6-10 at a time and see how they affect the tank. I'm not a fan of Turbo's. They're like bulls in a china shop, always knocking frags over and generally being a nuisance. In my 30g, I have about 7 hermits, 25-30 astreas, and 2 Tonga fighting Conch. The fighting conchs are primarily for looks in my tank. They stir up the sand bed a bit, but don't eat too much in the way of detritus. They are great fun to watch, however. If I were to redo it, I might get one fighting conch, but I'd primarily use nassarius for the sand bed. So, for me, Astreas do most of the work.

·
Registered
294 Posts
They're like bulls in a china shop, always knocking frags over and generally being a nuisance
But Mythbusters proved that wrong. But still, they are a pain in the rear.

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting thanks all

·
Enjoy it now
4,085 Posts
i like Trochus. a bit expensive, but able to breed in the tank. heck i gave away 20+ at the last TRT picnic and i plan to do it again this coming year.

G~
So their mortality rate is less than a normal snails? I see eggs all the time on my glass but those get eaten quickly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts