The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
reef addict
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i currently have HO fluorescents: 15" reef sun, 18" 50/50 and a 18" actinic in my 25 gallon tank with corals and fish. i dont know whether the lights are quite bright enough, the corals seem to be ok- although sometimes they don't come out, what do you think? is the lighting up to scratch?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
hi, i currently have HO fluorescents: 15" reef sun, 18" 50/50 and a 18" actinic in my 25 gallon tank with corals and fish. i dont know whether the lights are quite bright enough, the corals seem to be ok- although sometimes they don't come out, what do you think? is the lighting up to scratch?
Not enough info. What is in the tank? The lights mentioned should be adequate for most Soft (leathers) and LPS coral. Post your parameters and a full tank pic would be nice.

·
reef addict
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok sorry for lack of info heres my latest parameters: temp 26, calcium 460, phosphate 0.3, nitrate/ nitrite nil, salt 1.025, ph stable at 7.9
tank specs:
25 gallon tank,with a red sea prizm skimmer,two koralia powerheads. a built in the back filter with carbon and star media.
reef sand,plenty of live rock, corals: green carpet xenia, yellow finger leather, purple gorgonian, brown star polyp, yellow toadstool
fish: 4 x green chromis, maroon clown and algae blenny
inverts: 2x turbo snails, electric blue hermit , emerald crab ,cleaner shrimp

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Since you are showing an interest in LEDs, check these out; http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_searc...tic&parsed=1&gclid=CJeexp74naUCFYVrKgodYm2fIQ You don't want the Stunners but the Modules are real nice. The one with the accessory pack is a nice unit with I think 4 or 5 Modules, it is real intense. @ Modules over your tank should be plenty. You have to use timers and each Module has its' own cord (bit of a draw back for some). I use 2 Modules over my 55 gal. with 2 T5s and 1 Module and 1 Stunner over my Biocube.

·
300 Gallon Reef Tank
2,097 Posts
Since you are showing an interest in LEDs, check these out; http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_searc...tic&parsed=1&gclid=CJeexp74naUCFYVrKgodYm2fIQ You don't want the Stunners but the Modules are real nice. The one with the accessory pack is a nice unit with I think 4 or 5 Modules, it is real intense. @ Modules over your tank should be plenty. You have to use timers and each Module has its' own cord (bit of a draw back for some). I use 2 Modules over my 55 gal. with 2 T5s and 1 Module and 1 Stunner over my Biocube.
Thanks. I was looking at these the other day. My concern is getting to the bottom of a 3 foot deep tank with enough par. I was trying to find 2-3 watt leds. I can't find any info on how well the 1 watt do in deeper tanks.

·
reef addict
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that LED system sounds sweet, i was just reading up on it. Im gonna upgrade to LEDs ina few weeks, ive been looking at the TMC aquabeam 1000hd tile what do you think about this system and how many tiles would you say id need for my 25 gallon cube?

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Define "BEST"... Best for the corals? best for your wallet? or best for operational cost?

If it's for the coral, I still think MH wins ;)

Operational cost would be LED

Wallet would be T5 HO's

·
reef addict
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Define "BEST"... Best for the corals? best for your wallet? or best for operational cost?

If it's for the coral, I still think MH wins ;)

Operational cost would be LED

Wallet would be T5 HO's
Best for the system in general as mentioned above i have corals (soft), fish and inverts.
So you think mh? ive heard better things about LED.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts