The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to place a float switch for a high water level power pump off situation (in my skimate collection bucket) and a float switch for a low water level power pump off situation in my downstairs sump.

Who makes and carries the best options?? Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Jr. Reef Tank Engineer
1,081 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Yeah. I'm pretty much terrified of them. The Kent float valves, so long as you only use RO, seem to be fairly reliable. But even then, the most I keep on them is 5g of RO. So, it wouldn't be a disaster if it failed and dumped it all in the tank.

I'm contemplating getting an automatic cutoff for the RO water filter from AquaFX. Has anyone had any float switch problems with RO switch valves? That could be a HUGE disaster if it didn't cut off. Thus I'm sort of worried and have been putting it off because of that. But, I'm thinkiing I could make an overflow on the storage unit that plumbs into the drain of the house in case the float switch failed.

·
Registered
141 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
From reading this thread I just got an idea - an external water level switch.

If I could make a device that sticks to the outside with a suction cup, has no moving parts, and no contact with the water...would anyone be interested? You could use it to control a pump just like a float switch.

I'm convinced it can be done, and I just might do it!

===>DavidC

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Sounds good! If you can make it, they will come.

BTW, suction cups are handy, but you might want to also offer more reliable means for attaching the proposed device.

·
Jr. Reef Tank Engineer
1,081 Posts
You mean, like an ultrasonic transducer? That would be kinda neat, but it would seem that putting one together would be pretty expensive. In any case, I'd like to see what you have in mind.

- Michael

davidc said:
From reading this thread I just got an idea - an external water level switch.

If I could make a device that sticks to the outside with a suction cup, has no moving parts, and no contact with the water...would anyone be interested? You could use it to control a pump just like a float switch.

I'm convinced it can be done, and I just might do it!

===>DavidC

·
Jr. Reef Tank Engineer
1,081 Posts
I actually bought a Kent Float Valve a few weks ago, but haven't installed it yet. It seemed that I didn't have enough room in the sump to allow the float to move and down without bumping into anything.

For some reason this thread has given me an idea; I'll let you all know how it turns out.

- Michael

·
Registered
365 Posts
goodfortune - not ultrasonic. very cheeeep in fact! Mwuahhhahaha...now I've got another experiment to begin! My wife will be so happy! ;)

Melissa - I like the magnet Idea, should not be a problem. BTW - the frags seem to be doing well so far!

Expect to hear about this soon at least from the DIY section :) Hush-hush for now...

===>DavidC

·
Jr. Reef Tank Engineer
1,081 Posts
Oooh, Oooh, I know what'll make a cheap but effective auto top off:
- A pet vacationwater bowl! :idea:

Well maybe not the bowl itself, but the general operating principle. You know how if the water level drops in the vacation water bowl, there is a valve in the resevior opening that will drop to release more water, until the valve floats off the shut of the resevior?

Wow! Once again, you guys have given me another idea....

- Michael

davidc said:
goodfortune - not ultrasonic. very cheeeep in fact! Mwuahhhahaha...now I've got another experiment to begin! My wife will be so happy! ;)

Melissa - I like the magnet Idea, should not be a problem. BTW - the frags seem to be doing well so far!

Expect to hear about this soon at least from the DIY section :) Hush-hush for now...

===>DavidC

·
Registered
365 Posts
actually this is much easier ;) (but yours sounds cooler!):

get an airtight container that has airline hose exiting near the bottom. let this drip into your sump. this is the output hose.

another hose exits the top of the container and the loose end of it is positioned at the desired water level in your sump. this is the input hose.

Fill the container with water. If the input hose is under water, the container will not be able to release any extra water through the output hose, because there will be a vacuum. If the input hose is out of water, then the container can drip water out the output hose while air comes in through the input hose. When the sump fills up, the input hose is covered again so it stops releasing water.

Yours is still cooler though!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Tunze makes an infrared water level switch. The Nurce is a product that works the same as the container with the output/airline idea.

·
Registered
365 Posts
akula said:
Tunze makes an infrared water level switch. The Nurce is a product that works the same as the container with the output/airline idea.
My idea is not infrared, but that'd be real easy as a DIY I bet!

I just finished my DIY top off system using the method above. I don't have a lot of space to put stuff in my stand, and I like to keep it clear under there. So, I made it out of two vertical 3" PVC pipes that are just over 4' tall. It's painted black to match my scheme. It's somewhat scientific-contemporary looking ;)

I think it holds about 3 gallons with both pipes filled, which should last 6-7 days for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts