The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do anemones move?

i ask this question because my anemone moved to the other side of the tank overnight. i'm not too concerned with the why it moved because that's his/her busines. ;) however, it had stayed in the same spot where i first placed it a month ago when i brought it home and i had thought that it was happy where it was, but, oh well.

back to the original question, and i ask this out of old-fashioned curiousity: how does an anemone move itself about?

-hayday

ps: and what if the hokey pokey is what it's all about? :D :D :D :dance: :dance: :dance:

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
They have what is called a foot. Much like a snail. This allows them to crawl if you will; around the tank... To make the statement valid above, some let go and float with the current, and some crawl....In our tanks, this can be dangerous for the anemone because if they get close to a PH that is not protected, it will suck it up and rip it to shreds and it will most likely die.... :)

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
My friends inflated itself floated to the top of tank for 3 days and them it set it self down in a different spot, it looks healthy but was sorta wierd, is that noram behavior or what happened (My theory is the spot he put it in had bad lighting but don't they normallyh just use their foot to move)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i don't know if the anemone meant to place itself next to the overflow or if it drifted in the current. it seemed to be healthy and then it seemed to crash after a few days of being stuck against the overflow. it was contracted and looking very bad. i moved it and it quickly perked up. that was yesterday and this morning its moved back to its spot near the overflow. silly anemone :p

i wonder if the clownfish stayed inside during the move?

-hayday

1 - 4 of 4 Posts