The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
grrrr

No matter how big I build a canopy it's always too small. I got the MH and VHO's rigged and then went to get the cooling fans installed and have run out of real estate.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Got the lights and fan functions programmed on the Apex. With a little luck I'll get the ATO setup tomorrow and the programming done for it as well.

Only about 5 more gallons to go

crappy iphone pics

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Slacked off yesterday and didn't get the ATO finished or even started for that matter. Email and text messaging is working flawlessly and the fan is keeping the tank at perfect 79.5 degrees.

Wooot! liverock is due tomorrow. It's been years since I've used fresh LR, hopefully there will be some cool hitchhikers.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
where is this new live rock!??!?!?

has it come in yet?

:D
Actually it was delivered at 9am this morning. Unfortunately I didn't find out until I callled Premium Aquatics asking for a tracking #, so the rock sat on the front porch for 3+ hours. Probably not a huge deal since it's a cool spring day here in Georgia, but a tracking # would have been nice none the less. As for the rock, I'm slightly disappointed. The shape is great and it has some nice coraline , but I don't see anywhere near the amount of life expected. As it stands I've seen 2-3 tiny sprigs of macro algae, but not a single feather duster, sponge, tunicate etc. Time to go back to work, hopefully things will start poking out in the next day or so.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if I lived closer I would give you some of my rock...

Bristle worms, feather dusters, tube worms, tunicates, and a "pest" vermetid snails...
I called them on Thursday to check and see how long their uncured LR had been in stock and was informed it came in 3 days prior. I explained the reason for the inquiry and was told if I wanted hitchhikers etc this was the way to go. I'm beginning to think Tampa Bay Saltwater might have been a better option.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yet another frustrating day. I started calibrating the pH probe for the Apex unit and noticed the glass was broken. At least I managed to get the ATO put together and internet access.

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts
Sorry to hear about the disappointment with the LR. I have a hard time spending the extra for it when I can get really great dry rock. I had a similar experience when I ordered mine through liveaquaria.com. I wasn't very happy with the shapes and quality of the rock.

The marco rock I ordered was beyond my expectation!

·
cheese and beer... mmmm
5,579 Posts
when it comes to LR I'd rather see what im buying with my own eyes thats why i go to the LFS and pick out the ones I want..
Marco rock is a manmade rock isnt it?.. prolly why the shapes are always big and pourous..they can control it better..

·
Administrator
46,734 Posts
I wonder if a lot of the shippers and vendors are actualy aging"cooking" rock before selling it becaue of all the issues with excess nutrients causing excess algae. BR is certainly an option but over the years I have heard of a lot of unwanted hitchers, not problem if you are looking for that. Good luck with the new build, it looks cool so far.
i like the back wall. I could see doing something like that on 3 sides with a discete coast to coast overflow, or a square clam tank with back wall and half the sides half way done in rock with a center wall or central overflow all rocked in.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts