The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Tune In Tokyo!
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My current setup is a 29 tall and CPR BakPak 2R skimmer....a marginal skimmer at best.

Ive got a high bio-load and a small area to keep a tank in my studio apt.
My objective; to increase total gallons, add a sumpand a nice skimmer, and keep the existing footprint and stand.
Enter the 37 Tall.
It has the same footprint as my 29 tall but it is 22 3/4" tall vs. 18 3/4".
It will fit on the stand:thumbup:
I bought a 20 gallon long as a sump. This is the largest glass aquarium that will fit inside my stand and still have room to access the sump and all the equipment. It literally fills up the entire width of the stand.

My skimmer came today....what a beast! Its an AquaC EV-120 w/ a John Guest fitting. It calls for a Mag 5 for power but the instruction book explains that many people use a Mag 7 to "overdrive" the skimmer with exellent results. So a Mag 7 it is!
The sump will have a refugium in the center and a Mag 5 for a return.

I will be drilling the 37 for overflow, return, and a closed loop system.
My goal w/ a CLS is to add a spraybar to keep flow behind the liverock constant to avoid detrius buildup. I have not decided on a pump for the CLS yet....any ideas?

One more issue....after the sump and skimmer and ballast and timers go in the stand, there is very little room for anything else.
Solution: Im going to make new sides for the stand. They will be about 10" higher. This will raise the tank a little closer to eye level and give me room to add my phos reactor and something else along the way. Im sure raising the center of gravity of the stand could pose problems so triangle braces will go in on the back.

Heres a few pics.....more to come!

Attachments

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
I'm very interested to see how you build your sump. I have a 20g that I keep threatening to turn into a sump for my 38g.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
webdr said:
everything thats in my current 29 plus a little more live rock
see my blog
if you plan on swithching tanks/ sumps all at once, addind live rock to an established tank is not a good idea.

even if the LFs claims it is cured, bringing it home out of the water is enough to get die off for a mini cycle at least.

If you really want to add more LR, get say a cheap 10 gallon glass tank, do a water shange on the main display, and put theat water into the 10 gallon. Throw on a small power filter or powerhead. Put the live rock in there.

Let it sit for a week or two and closley moniter ammonia / trates, tries,
do a little water change or two inbetween.

and add it to the main display when all levels in that tank stay at zero.

even if all levels read 0 within a few days, let it sit in there a week just to be safe.

HTH

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Congrats! For the sump you have a good one. I used a 20L for my 55 and it was great. Once my wife is off of the other computer I will post a pic of how I set mine up. Cheap and very effective and I ran a Euroreef in it, heaters and 4 baffles along with the return pump.

Robert

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
webdr said:
xzcv123,
I have just the 10 tank for the job! I will take your advice.
Thanks
yup, throw in a powerhead or something, wait that week.

re cycles/ mini clycles R not Good :thumbup:

·
Tune In Tokyo!
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the sump is 99% done. I bought a sheet of glass from Lowes and had it cut for a total of 7 bucks.....not bad. the sheets are 11 and 7/8th" by 9"
The baffles are spaced 1.75 inches apart. The flow from left to right is; skimmer, refugium, return.
I made the left refugium baffle a quarter of an inch taller than the right refugium baffle to aide in flow across into the return where the mag 5 will be.
If this is all common knowlege, sorry. This is my 1st sump.
The skimmer will sit about 3 inches higher so it will dump into the first "over/under"
Im so glad I didnt buy an expensive acrylic sump. I have a total of 25 dollars in this sump including the tank!

Attachments

·
Tune In Tokyo!
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally got my drill bits from Hong Kong!
1" drain
3/4" return
1/2" CLS

I used some modeling clay to make a pool around the hole I was drilling.
The first hole took about 20 mins. The second , only 10 mins.

heres the photos:

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts