The Reef Tank banner
61 - 80 of 161 Posts

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Next are some pics of the goodies I got in the mail today.

First is the lighting upgrade I bought from Nanotuners.com . When finished it will mod the stock lighting from 2 36W PC to 4 36W PC. The bulb mix will be two actinics, one 10K, and one 50/50. The upgrade also includes a fan upgrade for better cooling and a moonlight upgrade. The stock canopy comes with moonlights, the upgrade adds two moonlights and allows them to be controllable.

Here's everything still packed up.

Unpacked

Parts bag unpacked.

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Here's a pic of the Auto Top Off that I chose. I couldn't pass it up as it was on sale for $60.

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Finally, some pics of my other parts.

I bought a Coralife Aqualight digial timer/power center, a 100W stealth heater, and a Hydor Flo to generate variable current from my return. I also picked up some loc line and plan to split the return with one side pointed at the water surface for aggitation and the other terminating in the hydor Flo.

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I'm still waiting on my Tunze 9002 DOC skimmer and the Rio 6HF that will become the new main return pump. I checked the UPS tracking site and the skimmer is sitting in Knoxville which is 25 minutes from me. I'm hoping UPS delivers it tomorrow. The pump isn't due until Monday.

The wife is out of town this weekend, so I'm planning to start the lighting mod tomorrow. I'll make sure to take plenty of pics.

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
looking good!
I so wanted you to do the horses though
I know, I kept going back and forth about setting the horses up in the cube. To be honest, its going to depend on the temp of the tank. This setup is going to my office at work, which is usually cooler than where I have the old 20H sitting now. If the temp issue works out, I may change my mind again. :nuts:

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
The plan is to trash the bioballs.

Ok, I've been working on my lighting upgrade today. Right now it's been a love hate kinda thing. I love the way the mod is turning out ... I hate how crappy the directions are. I'm sure the person or persons responsible for writing the directions aren't technical writers because there are very obvious and crucial gaps in the instructions. For example, I bought the moonlight upgrade for the kit ... but nowhere in the instructions is there any reference as to HOW to INSTALL it or that it is even an option. Luckly for me I tend to ask alot of questions about aquarium products before I purchase them ... espically DIY stuff. While looking back through my emails several questions I had asked about the setup had been answered with enough technical reference to the install that I could figure out how the moonlight kit was supposed to install, had I not asked this though, and I would be up the creek about now.

Anyway, I have about half the upgrade done. I have the Biocube stock hood moded and wired with the new heat shield, end caps, fans, and moonlights installed. I have the moonlights wired and they work, so that's a good sign. I'll be starting on the ballast and power hookups next.

But I thought I would post some pics of the project so far.

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
The original stock hood before starting.

Removing the old heat sheild and getting to the guts of the stock wiring.

Removal of the old transformer.

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
The old heat shield and moonlights.

Here is the new heat shield with two of the old moonlights, the end caps, and the new fans installed.

As I mentioned before, I figured out how the moonlight upgrade installed after a little detective work. The up grade mentioned 5 LED's and I had run across other reefers who had done this mod talk about 7 LED moonlights in the upgrade. I couldn't figure out what they were talking about and with no directions for the upgrade I wasn't making any headway. I finally figured out that what the upgrade called for was the use of two of the original three stock LED's along with the upgrade. Thus 5 LED's in the upgrade plus two stock LED's equalled the 7 LED's I kept hearing about. Anyway here a few shots of the moonlight upgrade and the finished canopy.

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Well, I got the lighting upgrade completed, finished the ballast, fan, and moonlight wiring on Sunday. Had to let some silicone dry before I finished the ballast enclosure but now everything is put together and power tests show that all the lights and fans are working as they are supposed to. Pics to come.

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Thanks guys. UPS delivered the skimmer and pump on Tuesday, a day later than they were supposed to. Anyway, I havne't had a chance to do test fitting yet, but hope to this weekend.

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Thanks Tim. I like your lighting setup as well. I have shots of the ballast enclosure, I just haven't gotten them uploaded yet. Haven't had much time to work on the tank lately.

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Ok, finally got a few minutes to work on the tank today, and a few pics uploaded. First are some pics of the last part of my lighting upgrade project.

Here are some pic of the ballast wiring and the enclosure used in the upgrade.

Here is a pic of the nice and neat ballast install.

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I also got the Tunze DOC skimmer installed. At first I was sweating if the skimmer was going to fit. The dimensions I was going by were the ones for the skimmer body NOT the skimmer cup ... which was the source of my concern as I found that it was too big to fit in the chamber. I took I few measurements and found that a little dremmeling to the front and back of the 2nd chamber walls might make it fit. So away I went.

Here's a pic of the Tunze 9002 DOC skimmer.

Here are the pics to outline the mod I did to the second chamber to get the skimmer to fit. First I had to cut out a relief in a ridge running around the inside of the chamber. It wasn't allowing the skimmer brace to sit flush agaist the chamber wall and thus was jutting the skimmer out into the 2nd chamber at a weird angle.

Here is where I marked for the cut.

And here is after I made the cut.

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
The skimmer brace installed nicely into the new relief and the skimmer body was now sitting flush with the wall.

The next problem was getting the skimmer cup to fit. There was another ridge of trim running on the front and back walls of the 2nd chamber that wasn't allowing the skimmer cup to sit down in the chamber on the skimmer body. After I lined up the skimmer cup I made a few marks on the trim and used the dremmel to cut notches in the front and back trim for reliefs.

61 - 80 of 161 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.