The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joe that acro RTNed. Its gone. Don't really care though. Now its a really cool rock.

By the way I do STILL have acro flat worms, found some today. I don't know if anyone got TRUE acros from me but If you did just turkey bast them and if there one on there they will blow off and your fish will eat them.

They don't eat other sps other than Acropora. How do you know whats acropora? I can tell, but I don't know how to describe it. Valeda, the yellow acro, but thats abou tall I have. If you notice white areas in the crotch of an sps thats a sign. Red bugs cause more of dots and and a STN from the base.

Dan,
you did have red bugs. I nuked the tank and all is looking better. I might have to pick up a few more pills.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought for sure that this was due to cutting it in the cold weather. That could still be but I checked my perams and they are off quite a bit. Both cal and alk is low. I'm bumping it up now.

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
This is very untrue, if you have AEFW you have a much bigger problem than this, and the last thing you would want to do is blast them everywhere else with a turkey baster. The only fish "believed" to eat them is the sixline wrasse. good luck with this plague....I had LRB once, and everyone that has had these in my area pretty much threw their acro away and started over. Looks like the word of the day is Quarantine. :)
Kent Emirbayer said:
If you did just turkey bast them and if there one on there they will blow off and your fish will eat them.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Smeeze, but I very much disagree with you. It's a shame they threw them away, its not necessary. There are Many very smart people working on this "plague". Blasting them with a turkey baster (and keeping your parameters good) inhibits their progress. I have had colonies that have these FW for nearly a year, and so have others, yet The colonies have even grown significantly. I think the alk contributed to the AEFW bloom because the corals get stressed. Also, I have watched my fish eat them.

The coral that deid had nothing to do with the AEFW. They don't eat that particular coral. It died probably because of cutting it out on the porch in freezing weather for 10 min coupled with low alk.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as natural predators, the big one in question is the Acro crab. The problem is nearly everyone with AEFWs also run into Red Bugs. The Red Bug treatment kills the Acro crabs and then it seems that the next plague to take place is the AEFWs. There has never been a case yet where someone has an Acro crab in a colony and AEFWs. The problem is that Acro crabs are not on the market. They are stow aways, but with all the hubub I anticipate that this will change rather quickly.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WHen they become available there will be people across the country purchasing them, including me.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, if anyone has AEFW. I do have the fluke medicine and will give you some. THe reason I have not used it is I cannot remove many of the corals and treat them. I am waiting for an entire tank treatment. If push comes to shove I could remove corals and treat them, BUt I'd rather turkey baste for now.

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Well in my experience that is what I was told (I do not really have any experience cause I have never gotten myself into this predicament....now the redbugs...that is a different story. I got and beat them, and that is why I found the "Q" tank to be a gift from god. What kind of acro was it that died? It is to bad that you got into this mess, all you can really do now is keep your corals to yourself so it does not go any further. Good luck! Steve~ :)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Smeeze its the coral clap. Unfortunately, everyones got stuff from me. But I don't think any of the choice menu items.

I really like the quarintine idea and should use it. Except I'm just plain lazy! I will set one up some day.

At first I was very upset about the AEFW, but now that I know how to keep it in check its just a challenge. I think reefkeeping will always have challenges or it would be a boring hobby. There will be a cure and then the next pest will rear its head. By the time we are of retirement age we will be masters in biology.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The latest on this is that "Flat Worm Exit" seems to work on AEFWs. But it must be dosed at 2-3 times the recommended dose. It doesn't kill the eggs so there needs to be several treatments.

There are about 3 guys who have had success with this and they are observing their tanks to see if AEFWs do come back. Also they are watching the tank for adverse affects.

There are alot of very smart people in this hobby, I'm thankful for that.

·
Registered
723 Posts
marine depot 14.99
salty critter 14.99
reefdom.com 13.99
island aquatics 14.25
premium aquatics 14.95
champion lighting 14.99
guess it comes down to shipping.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts