The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what causes the little bubble to form in the top of an overflow, there are no bubbles getting in the in or out hole. how does that happen, and how do you stop it? its a u-tube style overflow.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
leveldrummer said:
what causes the little bubble to form in the top of an overflow, there are no bubbles getting in the in or out hole. how does that happen, and how do you stop it? its a u-tube style overflow.
Here is an idea for you
Drill a hole in the tube, the hole should be big enough for you to attach some airline tubing to it. Then you pick up an aqualifter pump and hook it up to your air line tubing that you mounted to the U-tube. This will help you create a continious syphon.
This is what I do on my CPR-90 overflow box.
The aqualifter will suck out the air from the hole, it will also suck out water so make sure and place the return hose from the aqualifter in the resevoir of your overflow box.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Here's another idea! DON'T DO THAT! By doing that you will effectively have created a CPR type overflow that MANY people have had problems with after a power outage or pump failure.

Don't worry about the bubble, It won't hurt a thing.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Twitterbait said:
to get rid of the bubble just stick some tubing up in there and suck the air out. the flow of the water should remove any small bubbles.
yea i do that maybe once a week or so, i think extra flow would help, when i top off, the extra water in the main tank pushes the bubble out, more flow and the bubble cant stay there.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Leveldrummer said:
yea i do that maybe once a week or so, i think extra flow would help, when i top off, the extra water in the main tank pushes the bubble out, more flow and the bubble cant stay there.
That is the correct "Fix" for that problem. I use a Quiet One 3000 and no bubble. :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
leveldrummer said:
FYI, I have one of these. I get the bubble when I don't have enough flow going through the tube but not when I do have enough. The problem is you need an adjustable motor OR a switch that lets you adjust the motor because you need to get it exactly so to avoid the bubble. Since I never use the same length tube twice or place it in the same spot for the return, I have a tendency to alternate between bubble and no bubble since the adjustment on my pump is a rather crude.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Caoineg nailed it. Increasing the return pump flow will increase the waters velocity through the U-tube. With the increased velocity the bubbles no longer accumulate at the top of the tube. Those air pockets can cause siphon breaks when the power goes out.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
ThePlatypus said:
Caoineg nailed it.
Hmmmm, Thought that is what I said in regards to the larger Quiet One 3000 I use. :(

ReefNeck said:
That is the correct "Fix" for that problem. I use a Quiet One 3000 and no bubble. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts