The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A special thank you to Jesse and Michelle (christensonjess) for coming over and adding some outlets and new electrical "stuff" to my house. The tank is now run on 2 of its own breakers, no more popped circuits! YEAH!!!!

:beer:

·
Registered
36 Posts
mtfatwork said:
A special thank you to Jesse and Michelle (christensonjess) for coming over and adding some outlets and new electrical "stuff" to my house. The tank is now run on 2 of its own breakers, no more popped circuits! YEAH!!!!

:beer:
I did the same thing for my home theater setup. Is it suggested that I do the same for my future tank, or did you just have too many other things running off that same circuit? And if so, did you use a GFI breaker or just a regular?

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rolen, I have a huge tank with 3 400w mh, a big external pump for a closed loop, calcium reactor, ozonizer, and all the separate controllers along with the regular tank equipment that was runnin on the same circuit as all of the home theatre system, so I needed to disperse the power consumption a bit. I guess it all depends on the size of the tank you are running and what the total wattage draw of your system will be. Mine is frightening. I figured this way I would no longer have to worry about it, plus, there are still other pieces of equipment I plan on adding to my system yet such as a kalkreactor, a uv sterilizer, and a chiller. As far as GFI, you would have to ask Jesse, he is the electrician here, I am far from it, thats why I had him come down!

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you can, run at least one seperate circuit with a GFCI breaker.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
hey christensonjes<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_777606", true); </SCRIPT> are you any good at wiring a hot tub? if so, i got a job for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
christensonjes said:
A GFI is used around water so you dont electrocute yourself. It is a good idea to have it in there but it is not critical.
Right, so I could just use a GFI outlet like you'd see in a bathroom instead of paying extra for a GFI breaker. But still run a dedicated circuit if I want, just with the GFI outlet on the end, makes sense.:thumbup:

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Rolen27 said:
Right, so I could just use a GFI outlet like you'd see in a bathroom instead of paying extra for a GFI breaker. But still run a dedicated circuit if I want, just with the GFI outlet on the end, makes sense.:thumbup:
You got it:thumbup: In this hobby IMO it is a must to have a grounding probe and a GFCI to protect you from box six feet under.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yes, you can just use an outlet, but if you are running a dedicated circuit for you tank, and plan on having pumps on it I would run gfci breakers. They are less likely to nuicance trip when the motor starts.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Rolen27 said:
You got it! Also if you want to have more than one outlet on a circuit, you can put the GFI first in line then use regular outlets and they will all be protected by the GFI:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts