The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jay the bubbles were from my pump not being completely submerged. BUT I also found out that my overflow cannot keep up with my pump.......I have a 1inch overflow......and I confrimed a MAG-DRIVE model 7 pump (700GPH). Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks

Steve

·
Administrator
47,636 Posts
Steve put a valve on the output side of the pump and slow it down a tad

·
double cappuccino
1,633 Posts
1 inch overflow is better matched with a Mag5, but then you already know that now! Ball valve in the return line will let you tone it back as much as you need to.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
or, if you really want the extra flow, up your drain to 1 1/4" after the bulkhead. but the ball valve should still be added on the return.

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Ok, forgive me for asking this plumbing question-I don't do well with visualizations when it comes to plumbing, I'm a hands-on kinda gal (no jokes, Buzz LOL)-but tacking a larger piece of tubing on after the bulkhead won't add to the volume of flow much because it is still restricted by the size of the bulkhead, correct?

Alice

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
yup, that would SEEM to be correct alice. but it's not. as cyberchief said, the added size of the pipe itself, allows more water to be in it and drain faster, as well as pulling water down, sort of creating a siphon effect, even though the bulkhead is still smaller.

·
Registered
334 Posts
You could add a Scwd wave maker and that would slow things down a tad. I also have a 1" bulkhead with a 900 gph pump, the wavemaker slowed it down because of the extra head preassure of the second return line, I guess also the scwd keeps a little head pressure to make it work.

·
Registered
340 Posts
What's the gph on a mag 7 at about 5' head?

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
foobuddha said:
What's the gph on a mag 7 at about 5' head?
About 450 GPH at 5 ft of head according to Premium Aquatics web site.:)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks Casey!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts