The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to thank Fernbank and Heather for inviting us
tonight everyone had a great time seeing their 900 gallon tank
and giving them ideas to make a Great future Reef tank.......
Hope to go back again when they have it up and running..........

Maria
ARC Meeting Coordinator

·
Registered
637 Posts
I second that! It was very nice of them to let us in, when they were closed! It will be very neat to see the tank progress though time!

I hope we are keep going back for some meetings!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I also wish to thank Fernbank and Heather for allowing us to provide them with our input on revamping their marine system.

I am proud of the membership of this club in that over 25 hobbyists went to offer their opinions and experience to help make this public display of marine life the best possible.

And lastly, I know that as I return to Fernbank time and time again and see that display, I'll proudly remember the Atlanta Reef Club's contribution!

Thanks again to all who attended!

Bob

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
I am so glad to be part of something, even if it is a small way, that will be remembered for times to come.

Ray

·
Registered
418 Posts
It was interesting

For those that were unable to attend, here's a quick rundown of meeting.

We saw a film of the reef off of Georgia. This was to get a clear pic. of what Fernbank would like to replicate. We were then taken to the "tank" and shown past attempts by several rookies or nonreefers. The challenge is(and there is deff a challenge) to revamp the whole thing...start from scratch. All the behind the scenes(sump,skimmer....) can be state of the art. However, the tank must be 100% indicative of Georgias reef. It's a 900g which sounds like a lot. But unfortunatly, someone went in and "concreted" two rock walls that take up almost half of the tank. IMHO, they need to jackhammer those babies outa' there. There are no reef walls off of Georgia. Mounds,perhaps. Walls? Its flat out there!

Anyway, back to the auditorium for questions/answers. A little socializing afterwards.

Heather, the woman heading this project, has her hands full. Fernbank is lucky to have someone on staff that cares enough to take the time to learn about reefing. She has obviously been doing her homework. I didnt have anything to offer because Im still too new to this. But the older,wiser members were a tremendous help.

I will enjoy going back and seeing how it all turns out. Thankyou, Heather, it was fun!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
For thoses who missed it --- This was another one of ARC's great meetings. I really enjoyed the behind the scenes and helping Heather out by giving some advice and answering some questions.

This is definatly something we can all be proud of.

Hopefully they will let us back to have a future meeting in that great auditorium.

And maybe if we find a really rich member who agrees to donate a bunch of money to Fernbank they will break out that Bar Heather mentioned. :D

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
That was my first trip to Fernbank. I was very impressed. I'll definately be going back the see the entire museum. Thanks Heather.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts