The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tampa Reefer
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EC yesterday wrote this in a separate thread:

"Some of us here (and there are several) have 20+ years of experience studying and researching these topics. Some of us started out naive and cocky, thinking we had all the answers. (myself included) It wasn't until we realized that our understanding wasn't quite right, and there was a great deal more to learn, that we really started to understand the complexities of these systems. That's when the long road of true learning begins."

I started on TRT in 2010 and felt pretty good about my own reef education. Until, that is, the last month or so reading some of the LENGTHY posts by many long-term reefers. Now, I pretty much am sitting back in awe of the knowledge bank out there. I guess I'm moving from cocky to the long road of true learning, and I wanted to say THANKS!

·
Reefer Madness
1,357 Posts
+1. Actually, there is not alot known about corals and reef creatures. It has only been since the late '70s that this hobby started to take off and we are still making adjustments to our husbandry techniques.

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
In 10 years we'll cringe at how we're doing things today :agree:

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
When you realize the knowledge on here, it is amazing that some people will still list things as "fact" when they are flat out wrong. One of the things I love about this site is the respect for others' opinions and the tact with which things are "corrected" when information is given incorrectly. It would help if posters gave an opinion on something they feel is right, but acknowledge they may not be 100% positive so the reader doesn't do something wrong assuming the responder truly knew the answer. This also helps the more senior reefers know which comments to jump in and verify, or correct. It helps all of us learn and isn't that why we are here?

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
On that not, I found this information just a few minutes ago that couldn't be closer to the truth:

http://www.inlandaquatics.com/info/advice.html
Just because some people are too lazy to hit the link, I copied the three rules listed:

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%">1) Find a hobbyist, dealer or guru that demonstrates consistent, long term success. Choose carefully. This person, and the rapport you establish with him/her, will greatly affect the likelihood of your becoming a successful aquarium hobbyist.</TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%"><BIG><BIG>
</BIG></BIG>2) Listen to this mentor, ignoring the conflicting opinions of others, until you can confidently diagnose typical aquarium situations and the appropriate course of action, as your mentor would. Do not proceed to #3 until you also clearly understand exactly WHY s/he does what s/he does. (I'm not suggesting that you don't read everything you can get your hands on..... However, you should try to focus on animal biology/husbandry and not aquarium philosophy.)</TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%">
3) Once you have completed step #2, but never before, begin to pay close attention to other SUCCESSFUL paradigms practiced in the hobby. You will now have at your command the basic understanding of reef keeping required to successfully experiment. Before long, you will develop your OWN successful approach to reef keeping.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Reefer Madness
1,357 Posts
TDWyatt offers some great insight:
We should all be striving to maintain the best water quality possible. However, we should not starve our tanks in order to have pristine water; reefs like to eat - alot!

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
The intriguing part of this hobby for me, is the fact that I can study from now until the day I die, and learn a great deal along the way, but when I die, I'll still have more questions than answers. There's always something new to discover, more to learn, and questions that need answers.

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
The intriguing part of this hobby for me, is the fact that I can study from now until the day I die, and learn a great deal along the way, but when I die, I'll still have more questions than answers. There's always something new to discover, more to learn, and questions that need answers.
The truly wise man knows what he doesn't know.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
When you realize the knowledge on here, it is amazing that some people will still list things as "fact" when they are flat out wrong. One of the things I love about this site is the respect for others' opinions and the tact with which things are "corrected" when information is given incorrectly. It would help if posters gave an opinion on something they feel is right, but acknowledge they may not be 100% positive so the reader doesn't do something wrong assuming the responder truly knew the answer. This also helps the more senior reefers know which comments to jump in and verify, or correct. It helps all of us learn and isn't that why we are here?

YUP - Here are the FACTS that I know so far:
1. Saltwater is wet
2. Some corals are expensive
3. Salt Creep is annoying!
4. TRT has help me learn lots of stuff!

That's 'bout it!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Here are my 2 cents worth;

"A strong debate, equipped with knowledge and ideas, brings clarity to ones' own beliefs, whether correct or incorrect depends solely on the accuracy of the knowledge and ideas."
--Leon Guzdzial

"To know something means nothing, to share that knowledge with others is the beginning of learning."
-- Leon Guzdzial

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
I learn something new weekly...
The trick is to stay open minded to new ideas and techniques. Some are good and some are bad. Use what you learn to determin whic ones are right for you and your tank(s)

·
Tampa Reefer
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are my 2 cents worth;

"A strong debate, equipped with knowledge and ideas, brings clarity to ones' own beliefs, whether correct or incorrect depends solely on the accuracy of the knowledge and ideas."
--Leon Guzdzial

"To know something means nothing, to share that knowledge with others is the beginning of learning."
-- Leon Guzdzial
Mrplum, are you by any chance Leon Guzdzial? LOL

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Mrplum, are you by any chance Leon Guzdzial? LOL
Yes I am! I am a writer with a book of poetry in progress and some other endeavors along with writing quotes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts