The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to use this rock in a salt water tank. I wanted to know if there were any up or down sides for salt water tanks and the rock in question. Is it safe for coral or just a salt water fish tank only? Any input would help. I have about 250-300lbs of it in my 180g fresh water, and want to start a reef tank.

· *Assume something witty*
640 Posts
I've been using TX Holey Rock in my reef tank since Dec-08, and I have had no problems with it. However, like Geoff said, it is more dense and will not provide as much biological filtration as an equally-sized piece of normal live rock. The piece of TX rock in my tank is a relatively big piece for my tank size. So it is taking up a lot of space but not providing as much filtration as live rock. But it was a cheaper way to fill up my tank with rock than if I had filled it all up with regular live rock. Besides, the TX rock is "live" now!

· Kid Reefer
4,234 Posts
Google images ftw lol.

:lol: Wow thats exactly what i was looking for, the fish that i have are going to get big and i want them to be able to swim through the rocks, i gotta get some of that! haha It also looks good to put some macro algae in :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.