·
Super Moderator
22,652 Posts
Tick tock, Tick Tock,,,,
ahhhh, you'd probably over fill it,,,if you are like me!:rolleyes: :funny:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I am glad it is holding so far! I am filling up the new (to us) 55 to check for leaks right now.

·
Super Moderator
22,652 Posts
seamonkey said:
wouldn't it have been easier to take the nozzle off the hose to fill it.
ahem, i thought that too,,,
if it's gonna leak it'll the at the same rate,,,,:rolleyes: :D
good luck!
ya know you gotta post pics of it's progress too!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Um...no because my hose hook up is sooo far away, I wanted to be able to stop the water without running to the back of the house, and without having to pull the hose up and spray it everywhere.

As for the tank, it filled and held...as did the 20g sump...the stand doesn't appear any worse for wear...everything is as level and square as it was before I started.

Now the plumbing on the other hand....actually all the plumbing did its job.....the return that came with the tank isn't quiet long enough so part of the return water is spraying out inside the overflow, but this will be easily fixed....the durso works pretty well but I have to work on the timing some. The Mag 12 worked great but I will have to fill the sump deeper next time, becasue the 12 worked so hard that it was causing a funnel and pulling in some air cavitating.....

So the end result is this...the overflow slots don't move quiet fast enough for the Mag 12, but the bulkheads and durso can keep up with it pretty well....I didn't even divert any water out the refugium feed.....

So all and all I would say the stand held up well the plumbing needs some tweaking but nothing to complain about (no leaks on the stuff I did)....and the mag 12 is going to be just right if not just a little TOO strong, but I can throttle it back just a slight amount if needed.

I will say this, this set-up is moving ALOT of water for a 60g tank. So my future SPS hopes shouldn't be too much of a pipe dream.

Dave

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Dave,

How do you have the overflow set up in the sump??

I had issues with my overflow pipe being submerged... It wasn't the slots int he overflow that was not keeping up with the pump, it was the back pressure from the seal at the bottom of the overflow...

To combat this, I cross drilled the bottom of the overflow PVC so that there wouldn't be an airtight seal at the bottom... I covered the PVC tubing with a prefilter culendar and it works great... the prefilter pad keeps all the noise at bay....

I'll snap some pics if ya want....

·
Super Moderator
22,652 Posts
Good to hear Dave on :
no runs , no drips, no errors!:beer:

·
1,262 Posts
1/2 inch holes cross drilled into the downpipe.... This prevents backpressure and allows the overflow to let more water pass through...

There are also more holes drilled above the coupler... Basically the holes start about 1 inch below the top of the sump...

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
cool beans dave... is your garage floor perfectly level?

mine isnt. i really want to do a wet test, but i was nervous about doing in in the garage on a not s perfect floor.

it's not like a roller coaster or anything, it's just not a perfect level. actually my house floor probably isnt either, but at least thier is capret and padding to absorb the imperfections.

glad to see you had no drips or spills!!

now i need to catch up with you! i didnt even finish my plumbing yet! and now i'm goign camping for a week!!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The garage is very NOT level...I put some cork under the left hand side of the tank so that it would be closer...there is about an 1/8th of an inch more water on the left hand side then on the right.......and that was AFTER I put the cork under it...but its not too much for a short term test...

I did add a brace under the back side of the tank, you can see the CCA treated 2X4 I used...I just was too nervous not having anything there...I felt alot safer filing the tank. Plus its not "perm" I just wedged it in there...had to hammer it into place, bu this was I can remove it for the bigger tank someday...

Dave

·
1,262 Posts
Dave,

I posted some pics at the end of page 1.... Just wanted to make sure you saw them... Usually the last post on a previous page will slip by unnoticed...

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nope I saw em. I am going to buy more PVC for the return either tonight or tomorrow morning.....I think I can fix some of my problem....then i will see how it goes after that. If I still have problems then I will drill the holes....

How much noise do the holes make since you don't have them submerged? Any problems with air bubbles?

Dave

·
1,262 Posts
I get less air bubbles with the pipe drilled and with the prefilter covering the holes, I get less noise also...

If you cover the full length of the pipe at the bottom, it will act as a bubble trap and you will have VERY LITTLE bubbles at all....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.