The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just added salt to my new 55g I am figuring it is best to test spec. gravity after it is all dissolved? i tested it a little while after i added the saly(salt-tdw edit) and i read high? any thoughts sorry for the ignorance i am new to reefing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no nothing in the tank. its new. it was reading higher than it is now it is at 1.028 i am using a instant ocean hydrometer.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
no nothing in the tank. its new. it was reading higher than it is now it is at 1.028 i am using a instant ocean hydrometer.
If your planning a reef I would trash the Hydrometer (Very inaccurate) and invest in a refractometer ($50.bucks) . Well worth it and a VERY important part of Reef Keeping .
At any rate . Add some RO?DI or Distilled water to bring the salinity down to 1.025-26 . If it's full take water out and add accordingly
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewi..._campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=MD2101

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok will do. another question i just added agronite should i leave all pumps off until it settles or keep some water moving?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yea the refractometer is the way forward, what they didn't tell me in the LFS that you need to calibrate the refractometer each time you use it. To do this run tap water over it, adjust it to 0.0 then dry and use in your tank

·
Registered
36 Posts
i check the calibration every time, just be safe, the initial LFS calibrated it for me and told me that would be the only time id need to do it :( my gravity got a little crazy but i didnt realise until i found a better LFS and the helped me see the truth and now its all perfect

·
CONSTANTLY LEARNING
1,598 Posts
Once a week I clean my hydrometers by sitting them in white vinegar overnight. Rinse well and good to go again.
My hydrometers were initially checked against my Fisher Scientific certified calibrated hydrometer and I shaved the float on one to bring it into line, and shaved the weight on the other. Both are right on now.
Haven't checked since last summer against the certified, but I've had them seventeen years now and it's never changed as long as I keep the deposits cleaned off with the vinegar.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Agree with the comments on calibration, once a month or every time you clean it is probably within the margin of error for the precision of these hobby instruments. Things are good and the refractometer should have respectable results so long as you calibrate it, especially if a value is way off and you are getting ready to make some major changes in your water chemistry due to a SG reading.

If the tank looks good, and everything is thriving, but one of your parameters is off, always be suspect of the instrument or test, and either calibrate it or find some independent method of confirming your value that is outside the range of normal limits.

Treat the patient, not the numbers.

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
I used a swing arm hydrometer for the first 2 months I had my tank. Good thing nothing died, when I got a refracto I found the swing arm was way off. A mere $23-30 bucks on ebay if you are cheap like me. Calibration solution for the refractometer? I thought you just use a couple drops of distilled? Am i doing it wrong?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
There are several threads that deal with this issue in TTT, I believe Fat Tony started the most recent one, a good read as to why distilled water or RO/DI can e used, but most folks do not store, keep, or produce this hungry product in a manner that will make it a suitable standard for calibration.

For example, even zero TDS water has around 17 mS impurities in it, even before it is placed in a storage vessel...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ok first off, NEVER MIX SALT IN YOUR TANK! For about $20 you can get a plastic trash can. Let the mix sit overnight if posible, with a heater and a powerhead.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts