The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I stopped past one of the local LFS by me today on my way home. Friend of mine was in the day before and said they had some interesting corals in. My curiosity made me stop. Only thing that was cool was a Sea Apple, and a Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish.

Anyways, I decided to grab a test kit of my own. Which is better, Reef Master Test Kit or Saltwater Test Kit both by API or get both, but there fricking expensive at $25.00 bucks for the Saltwater and $31.00 for the Reef Master. I could've sworn I seen the Saltwater cheaper somewhere else.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Unless your just starting to cycle a tank I wouldn't waste my money on them.
I like api for nitrates and Elos for the rest. Calcium, alkalinity and magnesium.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didnt see Elos, just API and they had the individual tests for alk, mag and cal

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
I've only ever seen the Elos kits on line.
What store did you stop at ?

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
if I were getting test kits, I wouldn't go with api. all the ones ive tried(pH, nitrate) have been very inaccurate and I didn't get repeatable results. I use and highly recommend salifert. yes, they are expensive(especially if ya think the api is expensive......lol), but have given me good repeatable results that I believe to be fairly accurate. id recommend ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium, and magnesium. I use all of those and am very happy with them all. I wouldn't waste money on a po4 test, and I use a hanna checker for alkalinity, though I hear the salifert is good for that as well. ive read good things about the red sea test kits as well.

the salifert kits have enough reagents for about 50 tests a piece. I test once a week for the most part so they last about 9-10 months on average.

but as to your question, I believe the saltwater kit tests things like ammonia, trite, trate, pH. then the reef master kit is your alk, ca, and mg.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chrisd - Pets Plus on the Blvd. I really dont like them. They had a bigger selection before they moved locations.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Yup, I use to deal with them all the time before the move. Matt is the manager but I think he spends most of his time at the new location. The old captain nemos.
Have you ever gone to the hidden reef or the fish factory ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have never received good help at the new location. I was in there Tuesday and they had a 6 bulb AquaticLife Light 36", timer and stuff, out of the box, just sitting on the shelf. I asked a guy about it and he called someone and told me $600 for it.

I was at the reef and the factory today. Was at Aquarium Center in New Jersey this past Saturday and like them alot. Nice selection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts